Any thoughts on participating in school fundraising?

This is my daughter's first year of kindergarden and she was sent home with a donation gift catalog for fundraising. I chose to write a check to the school PTO rather than annoy friends, family and co-workers with school fundraising. Do you all participate or give the school a monetary donation instead?

socialworker227

Asked by socialworker227 at 5:04 PM on Sep. 19, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think that there should be an age limit ( at least to start asking kids/families for fund raising $) I think up to 3rd grade they should not ask. Sometimes you get 2-3 kids knocking on your door not to mention the sports clubs and the scouts. After a while it gets to be too much.
    I would rather have them do a movie night and charge or ask for a donation for it. Or something along those lines
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 2:30 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I don't do fundraisers. I do boxtops, I donate water bottle labels, donate classroom items, toys, and books.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 5:28 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I just donate. It's easier - my family and friends know that I will not order anything from them either
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 5:08 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I am not at that point yet with my 2 kids, but I have to say that I would suck it up and help them raise money. I might write a check also in the end, too. I know it is so frustrating that they even have to do it, but our public schools need money for everything. As a teacher(taking time off to raise 2babies), it was so annoying when parents couldn't even send in tissues for their kids, or even snacks. You know, everyone complains about our broken education system, but what are people really doing to help? Kindergarten might be a little too young for fundraising, but showing kids that money is earned, not handed over for nothing, would be a great life lesson.
    HeatheranninSP

Answer by HeatheranninSP at 5:16 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I've written a check; saves me the time and hassle.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 8:09 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• we dont sell just send a donation that they can keep in full all those fundraisers make more money for the company then they do for the school
    steveiguana

Answer by steveiguana at 7:19 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I donate for evrything else nd dont bother with the fundraisers.Most of the stuff is soooo expensive
    fryshannon34

Answer by fryshannon34 at 9:55 PM on Sep. 20, 2010