Intentional Potty Accidents

For sometime I thought my DS had regressed in his potty training. Maybe he wasn't quite ready, was unsure when to go etc. Bt now it 's VERY clear he does it for control. He refuses to use the potty aftr 6 weeks of being totally trained (telling me when he has to go etc). Thn it all stopped. The only time he WON'T have an accident is whn he is either in Time Out or in his room going to bed. He tells us he has to go those times cause he wnts out of the situation. We pt him on the pot & he GOES!!! Thn this weekend my bro & sis in law were here for a visit (my DS LOVES them). The entire weekend he didn't have 1 accident & wld tell them whn he hd to go. They just lft & my DH gave him a bath. As soon as he gt out of the bath he ran in his room & peed ALL over the floor and proceeded to say, "Daddy I just went potty in my room." r u serious?? His reason? It makes u mad!! Do I pt him bk in diapers? Its bn going for 6 week

coolchic320

Asked by coolchic320 at 5:05 PM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• mentally he's not ready yet. put him back in diapers
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 5:45 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• really?? Then how do explain all those other incidents?
    coolchic320

Comment by coolchic320 (original poster) at 5:51 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• My sister did not let my nephew back in diapers who did this. She said they did use pull ups or good nights at bedtime and told him he didn't get his "big boy underwear" because he was acting like a "little boy baby".
    I also had a conversation with both my nephews at dinner one night about an accident vs an on purpose so that he would understand why mommy and daddy were so frustrated with him. After that convo if he had an on pupose he would lose a toy, if he lost one at my house I would give it so my sister or BIL to take home. They let him pick one back when ever he went to the bathroom like a big kid. Eventually he got them all back and learned he is not in charge.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 6:27 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Punishment, humiliation, and insults are not going to help. I would go all the way back to the beginning of potty training. Set a timer and take him potty every 15 minutes. Give him a pee pee treat (we use 1 m and m or reeses pieces) each time he has success and make a big celebration out of it. He will get back into the routine and you can slowly wean down the rewards.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 8:18 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• kemclaughlin, that was what I was thinking....
    coolchic320

Comment by coolchic320 (original poster) at 8:31 PM on Sep. 19, 2010