Why is my neworn doing this?!!!

My newborn is 4 weeks old only wants me at all times. While this is so sweet and nice to have it wears me out very bad. I am nursing her so I am sure that has something to do with it. But even when she isn't hungry she wants only me to hold her. My husband is allowed about 10 minutes while she is fully awake to hold her until she cries. She hears my voice and becomes calm. She also sits in my arms calm too but not his. It is really wearing me out and I wonder why she is doing this? Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:14 PM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Because for 9 months you were all she knew. Its scary for her to be away from you

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:18 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• She's only four weeks and you're feeling like this?
    Get used to it momma. You're a mommy now.
    It's all about her.
    I used to cry myself to sleep at times because both my husband and mom were working after I was done having my c-section.
    I thought, 'My god I'm never gonna have a full nights rest ever again.' But I sucked it up and took care of my precious baby girl.
    Because she needs me, and that's your role now. To protect her and make her feel content and safe....no matter the selfish needs that you may still have when you were without baby.
    Mrs.Halloween

Answer by Mrs.Halloween at 5:20 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• you're her normal. i'd take full advantage of it. lol. in about 3 years you're going to be wishing your baby would run up to you, before she heads into her class, to kiss you goodbye. that 10 minutes is AWESOME! thats enough for a shower!
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 5:22 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I know how you feel totally. I nursed my daughter until she was 7-8 months old. At night, when my supply was low she would take a bottle, and sometimes even then I had to give it to her because she would cry with my husband. Maybe you could either pump a bottle in advance, or use formula, to give her a night bottle that your husband can feed her. You could take a shower then, which I would do, or do whatever to relax. Breastfeeding is such hard work, as you know, but so worth it. Sometimes you might have to sit back and let her cry with your husband because their is no other way she'll learn to be with him. Maybe put them in a rocking chair with some soothing music. I wish you the best!
    HeatheranninSP

Answer by HeatheranninSP at 5:25 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Aww there's nothing wrong..this is normal 4 a child 2 be "glued" 2 it's parent @ this time..Your newborn knows your scent & voice chances are that this is only the beginning..But it's ok to the baby cry sometimes..Remember need to recharge too
    Lovelymee23

Answer by Lovelymee23 at 5:40 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• thanks everyone. I also should add that I have a two year old to tend to as well. I don't get to rest when she rests b/c I have him to take care of as well. Also they don't nap at the same time during the day no matter how hard I try. I don't mind her being so attached and totally understand but I am super tired and she is a terrible sleeper! My son was never so attached to me. He was pretty cool with anyone holding him until it was feeding time. Which gave me time to rest.
    anxious1stimer

Answer by anxious1stimer at 5:55 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Is your husband relaxed when holding her? I remember reading at one time that they can sense if you are nervous.
    tracie2t

Answer by tracie2t at 6:07 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Newborn babies are like this. You are her food source and the voice, heartbeat, and smell that she is supposed to cling to for survival. She needs you. It's exhausting, but this is how newborns are. It gets better and you will get a break, but most babies are like this until they are around 18 months.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 8:13 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Your everything to her at this age. Food, comfort etc. She knows your body and feels comfort. Your husband just has to get used to holding her more, feeding her, if you bottle feed so the baby can connect with him as well. GL!
    soccerfanatic14

Answer by soccerfanatic14 at 10:43 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I know what you mean..I have 4 year old and 3 month old and my 3 month old is the same way..I stay at home with the boys so both of them are momma boys...it makes it tuff at times because you just want to take a quiet shower but yes that is motherhood :) MY advice for daddy is to soothe baby as best as he can while your busy so they can bond...even if baby cries it wont hurt her she needs to know that daddy can be special too! If you grab her each time she fusses with him she will only continue to do it..babies are very smart :)
    socalikim

Answer by socalikim at 3:06 AM on Sep. 20, 2010