TB testing at 1 year check up?

My friends son just got a 1 year check up and they told her she needs to get him tested for TB. No reason behind it.
Has anyone else had to have a TB test for a 1 year old?
Her husband is over seas but there not going anywhere. Shes pregnant and had a test in college and one to move to Hawaii.

Halleys_mommy

Asked by Halleys_mommy at 7:12 PM on Jul. 1, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That doesn't sound right. They usually only do a TB test on a baby if they're at risk for it. Like if a parent has it, care giver got it, or there's an outbreak in their area.

I don't know if I would be comfortable giving someone that young a TB test. I would do some research first to make sure it's actually safe and perhaps even talk to another doctor (in another practice) to see what they think. Unless the child had been exposed then there is no reason for him to get the test IMO.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 7:16 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• My son will be one next week, never heard of it. Sounds like someone is out to make some extra cash.
    MommytoNakoa

Answer by MommytoNakoa at 7:30 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• my son had to get a tb test at his 1 year appointment. nothing that my nephew didn't get at his appointment at a year old. routine now .
    rayraysmom

Answer by rayraysmom at 8:13 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• There's been a resurgence of TB lately. That could have something to do with them requiring it now.
    ArtC

Answer by ArtC at 9:24 PM on Jul. 13, 2008