I had my baby 7 weeks ago and 3 days later i started working, i barely see her and dont get to spend much time with her. is it possible i ruined our bonding time together??

Infantrywife645

Asked by Infantrywife645 at 5:30 PM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I was working from home when my daughter was two weeks old, in the office part time at four weeks, and full time at eight weeks. She is 15, and we are still incredibly close.

Continue breastfeeding and holding'/wearing her when you are together, and everything will be fine.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:36 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I dont know, I would definitly try to work things out so you can spend more time with her though, is there anyway you can cut back hours, if the bond isnt there yet, you can always bond now, but the sooner the better. She isnt going to be little for long, and you will regret it if you miss out on it.
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 5:41 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I don't think so but cherish all the not at work time. Why did you go to work so soon? Even the state reconizes that you should stay home for the first 6 weeks. You should look into the extended family leave act. I hope it applys to you!
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 5:44 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• when i am here with her all i do is hold her and talk with her and do all the bonding i can, i think we are close but i think she doesnt know me well enough. i started working so soon because we couldnt pay all our bills with just my hubbys pay so i felt i needed to help
    Infantrywife645

Comment by Infantrywife645 (original poster) at 5:51 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I don't know, but I do know the baby does secrete a chemical to the mother in breastfeeding that establishes bonding. Not that a bottle fed baby doesn't bond, I am just repeating a study. I bottle fed my first, and I had a great bond with her. Anyways the study said the smell of the baby also made the mother release a chemical that bonded them. When the mother was away from the baby they would then measure the chemical in both mother and baby and the chemical was dramatically lower. I know if you can't help and need to work, you can only do the best for her. Just try and make your time with her is quality time, especially if the quanity is not much.
    homeschoolin432

Answer by homeschoolin432 at 6:27 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• well i can tell you my dd was in the nicu until almost 3mnths old and i didnt get to see her very much or bond with her..it has totally affected me..
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 9:52 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• No, you just have to hold her as much as you can when you do get to spend time with her.
    soccerfanatic14

Answer by soccerfanatic14 at 10:40 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• If you breastfeed you can bedshare and night nurse. If you bottle feed you can still cosleep by room sharing. You can even re=establish breastfeeding even if only part time
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:49 PM on Sep. 19, 2010