The Catholic Church and The Inquisition... Should an apology be issued?

I was just watching History's Mysteries, and they were discussing whether or not the Catholic Church would issue a formal apology. One historian said NO, because that would admit guilt and they aren't guilty of anything. Another said it would be at least nice to hear them say they are sorry for the loss of so many lives... And yet another said, No because no one that was killed is here to hear it anyways...

I guess I'm on the fence. Are they at fault? Yes and No. Not everything done during the Inquisition was due because of the direction or even okay of the Church. On the other hand, it would be nice to hear an apology for the loss of life - someone should take responsibility even all these years later... And yet, if there is a third hand here, it says that No one today is really going to care, it's done and over with...

So where do you stand?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 5:42 PM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I am with the third hand....
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 5:50 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• idk, that would in a way be like asking all white people to make a formal apology to blacks and Native Americans for what our ancestors did when we had nothing to do with it, or having Obama make a formal apology for what the government did back then, when he had nothing to do with it.

Sparrow4

Answer by Sparrow4 at 5:53 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• If the Church still holds the position of supporting the actions that were taken during that time, I would be more concerned about it, but I really don't think they do anymore. It would be nice to hear the leaders say how sad that time was in history.

Sparrow4

Answer by Sparrow4 at 5:55 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• The Inquisition was more to do with the Spanish monarchy than with the Church itself.... But I'm not really sure. Perhaps an apology would be beneficial, although I doubt there are many who care about it now. Out of all of the wrongs of the church, I'm not sure how high that one is on the list of things that people are really concerned about... I think that things like the sexual abuses of children or the refusal of condoms for AIDS prevention in Africa would rank higher on the list of things that matter at the moment than something so far in the past....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:59 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Well, I think it would be a little different than whites apologizing, and actually I believe our government DID release a formal apology for Slavery, even though it wasn't a very good one... In fact to be a little closer to the Inquisition - the State of Mass. has issued not one but TWO apologies for the Salem Witch hangings and has officially dissolved the convictions. Once in 1711, and again in 1957. While a much smaller scale, I would say the Salem Trials were closer to the realities of the Inquisition than slavery was. One was perpetrated mostly by a "religious organization" in conjunction with secular authorities while the other was simply a political and money making thing...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 6:00 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• An apology is needed. The Church has many wrongs in it, from early times to now. The problem with the Catholic Church is they tried to be like a government, instead of just a church. I know other non Catholic churches have wronged, I know this, I am just addressing the Catholic Church. I think apology will admit they were wrong, and they should acknowledge this. We have all sinned and fallen away, no one is perfect not even a church. We all need forgiveness.
    You might say well then every race should apologize and then you will have everyone making apologies for past things. But this is a Church that is well respected and is a leader that leads people to God. I think an apology would allow people see they were wrong, but through the love of Jesus, they want to apologize and they want to do better.
    homeschoolin432

Answer by homeschoolin432 at 6:03 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• "The Inquisition was more to do with the Spanish monarchy than with the Church itself...."

I would have to say this ONLY applies to the Spanish Inquisition... The Inquisition itself was really a much larger group of smaller "Inquisitions" which have all been lumped together and spanned over about 600 years...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 6:04 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I think there is much in Roman Catholic history that was wrongly done in the name of Christ ... but you won't ever get an apology from the Papacy ...
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 6:18 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

Nor from the reformists. That's the bigger problem. So what if one segment of the religion apologizes for one single event? It does nothing about the mass slaughter and abuse that was practiced by the religion in general across all denominations and still goes on today. It would be like the Klan apologizing for Skokie and ignoring all the lynchings and murders and beatings done by the klan, skinheads and westboro-zealot types throughout history and in present times.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:33 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I think it would be a kind gesture to do. They may not have been directly involved but certainly they gave their "flock" the directive to do harm to anyone they felt was a witch. It may not matter to people now, but the gesture is a kind one and perhaps the spirits of those departed are listening. ;)
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 6:48 PM on Sep. 19, 2010