any one into growing their own fruit and veg?

we've just started this summer not sure how to carry on though ha.

DawnLauren

Asked by DawnLauren at 5:55 PM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Home & Garden

• We have our own fruit trees vegetable garden I have been growing canning and freezing stuff for 30 years. I make jelly, stew, rhubarb jelly, jalapeno jelly, canned green beans, carrots we even have planted our own pumpkins this yr we have 2 strawberry patches, we have grapes and cherry trees we are hoping to get peach trees next

Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:02 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• oh wow thats impressive. my garden is tiny but we managed radishes, rocket, onions, garlic, broad beans and lettace. fruit doesnt seem to want to grow in my garden. will keep trying though. we;re gonna leave it till spring cos it gets wet over here..
    DawnLauren

Comment by DawnLauren (original poster) at 6:06 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• We're starting our own Garden in the spring. We're going to have the help of my parents, who've had their own veggie/fruit garden for years. We're hoping to go all out, as we want to cut back greatly on how much fruit/veggies we buy. We also plan to learn how to can and freeze our fruits/veggies properly. Even to make stews, jams, jellies, and other good stuff.

Your soil itself may not have enough nutrients for fruits. There could be other contributing factors as well that is preventing them to grow. I would suggest starting a compost pile to put on the garden every fall, along with Manuer (sp?). Till it in the ground and then let it set throughout the winter. Then in the spring till it up again and add another batch of fresh manuer and your compost.. Till it up and plant. The added nutrients from fresh manuer and your compost should help the soil to become rich, which will help all your plants.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:14 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Yes! We don't have a huge yard, so we make the most of our space. We have a couple of hybrid trees, a 5-in-1 pear tree & a fruit cocktail tree (plums, nectarines, apricots & peaches), but they're not producing yet. We also have 3 perennial gardens (strawberries, asparagus & herbs) that, though small, produce big now that they're established. We also have 2 annual garden beds that we rotate crops between. Most years we grow 2 varieties of potatoes, bulb onions, spring onions, garlic, shallots, tomatoes, eggplant, zuchinni, winter squash, kohlrabi, carrots, radishes, broccoli, mesclun, leaf lettuce, cucumbers, Corn, cantaloupe & watermelon. This year wasn't a good year for our garden b/c we had an unexpected bunny & deer invasion, so we're going to be making some fencing changes for next year.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 8:29 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• GOOD LUCK
    granma6

Answer by granma6 at 9:04 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• we're getting ready to plant our fall veggies- beets, spinach, turnips, winter squash... we have a small garden but I love it!
    we'll do more stuff in the spring- herbs, tomatoes, cucumbers, summer squash, green beans, etc...
    I found out that I need to add lime to our soil because where our house is used to be a cotton field and it drains the soil of lime... hopefully that will give us a bigger yield next year
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 8:53 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Oh, our town has a botanical gardens and they do classes and lectures on how to garden in this area, very helpful :)
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 8:54 AM on Sep. 20, 2010