Does anyone do freelance writing?

I'd like to get started doing this but I dont know how to get started. So if anyone has any information it would be appreciated.
I really need to find a work at home job. I have been looking for a job for 2 months with no luck at all. I need to find something to bring in money since my husband is disabled and his check barely covers the bills.

mandynjohnsmom

Asked by mandynjohnsmom at 6:03 PM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Money & Work

• PS...textbroker hires EVERYBODY to my knowledge. I have two friends doing it for extra Christmas money. They make you write a quick sample and you get graded on how good it is. I have never anyone who did not get a 3 on a scale of one to ten, no matter how good or bad their writing. I'm pretty sure they give it to everyone. Anywho, they DO pay, albeit very poorly...but it could buy you some bread and butter and maybe a coffee and will give you experience like I said. Only continue writing for them while learning the ropes. Once you believe you are pretty good at web writing, meeting client demands, etc... it's time to move on to greener pastures. Although not the greatest, I do some article writing for one site and can make pretty good money if I write quickly. It's not a waste of time, trust me... and if you write WELL and do quality work, you will set yourself apart from 90% of the other writers floating around.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 2:34 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I don't think freelance writing is an easy thing to get into. I am been tossing around the idea, too, and writing things as work and for free (blogs on cafemom, newsletters, etc) is helping me get experience.... but no pay.

I think you have to write some things (like articles, with a purpose), then offer them to magazines and such. I'll bump this question for you - I would like to learn more, if you get any good answers.
    science_spot

Answer by science_spot at 9:31 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I do! It would take me fifty seven of these little 900 character boxes to babble about everything I've read on the subject... so if you want you can PM me and ask any specific questions or I can just write back with anything I know. I do copywriting. (advertising and web articles) but you can include they type of writing you'd like to do and I will target any info on that.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 9:32 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• To a PP, I wouldn't call it "easy" but I got into it with no prior experience. You do have to do some samples and magazine writing is a bit harder to break into than what I'm doing. But I have managed to work my up to paying all our bills for the past year, and my first big gig came just a couple months after actively looking...so it CAN be done!
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 9:35 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• There are a lot of opportunities for free lance writing online. Check out elance.com or demandstudio.com . Those are legitimate companies. The only problem is that you will get paid peanuts for all your efforts. You can also try associatedcontent.com but again, you'll get paid peanuts.

If you like to write, you can create a website around your favorite subject and get income from adsense or selling affiliate products. I have a free course that comes to you through email that tells you how to do it. If you're interested, PM me and I will send you the link where you can sign up.

.
    HealthyMom62

Answer by HealthyMom62 at 7:54 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Okay...if the original poster is reading...since I never got a message...here are my thoughts on starting a site, elance and other bidding sites, and sites like Demand Media. Starting a website can eventually be a lucrative, but if you need money RIGHT NOW, it's probably not the way to go. I'm not telling you not to do it, but I would also find something that can pay your bills or help with bills aside from that until things get going. It takes time for a site to become popular, and how much you can make on ads will have a direct correlation with how many hits your site is getting. Plus, if you do not have a web design background, you will have to either hire a designer (money out of pocket) or you will have to go with a cheesy run of the mill DIY template based thing. If you can't pay for a domain name and hosting, then you end up with a blahblahblah.com/blahblah address, which looks even more unprofessional. Your own cont'd.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 2:12 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• website is something you will want to do later once you have credibility, have done plenty of research on a topic, and browsed the web to find out what topics have the most need. You should also eventually set up a website advertising your services, or you may start a site combining both your articles (perhaps on freelance writing someday) with your services. At that point, learning to use adsense and marketing is a good idea. In fact, the marketing thing is a good idea NOW if you want to write for the web. It's good to have a general idea of how search engines works, what keywords do, etc... because it will help you write better web content and you'll understand what certain clients are saying. Now, for e-lance, getafreelancer, and all those other bidding sites. As you may have guess, you would be BIDDING on jobs. The problem with this, is that those sites are open to everyone. Meaning, even those who live in India or con'd
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 2:16 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• ...other countries where earning half a cent per word is a good idea. Unfortunately, most people cannot live on that in the industrialized world and business owners who care more about keywords than content will undoubtedly go for the lowest bidder. Ever read a site that sounded like this: "The best way to become a freelance writer is to take some become a freelance writer courses. These will help you become a freelance writer once you have determined that becoming a freelance writer is the career for you...?" That is what I'm talking about. Many businesses do not care how the copy sounds so long as you cram enough keywords in. This irks me, but that is another topic for another day. IMO, a bidding site is only good if you wish to earn next to nothing forever OR if you need the writing experience. Even then, doing two maybe three assignments is good enough to get in someplace that pays slightly better. Associated content cont'
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 2:20 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• ...and another site called textbroker.com will pay you the same few pennies per couple words, only you do not have to bid. Textbroker also allows you to write for actual clients with actual client preferences and needs. If you do something they do not like, your works get sent back and you do it again. This sucks when you are working for peanuts, but it's good practice for when you are writing for higher paying clients because sometimes they can be quite choosy and nit-picky and...annoying, for lack of a better word. However, I recommend this as a part of the whole "paying your dues" thing because you will need to learn how to communicate with difficult people. If it makes you feel any better, most of my clients have been very cool and laid back. Anywho, once you have a few articles with textbroker and maybe a couple you can write on other topics just for samples (varying topics if you can). Once this is done, you can cont'd
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 2:26 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• apply for sites like Demand studios and other article mill type sites. You can also contact online marketing firms who specialize in SEO content and ask if they hire freelancers. Many of them do. I recommend working for a little while with a site like Demand for awhile before doing this. Some of them do not pay much better, some of them do. Demand pays roughly $15 for an article and you can write ten at a time. Not overnight riches by any means, but it is handy when you need a week's worth of groceries. Now, writing for the web is not necessarily the longterm goal if you wanna make serious money. Magazines can be lucrative IF you get in, which I can give you tips on. Advertising is one of the the most lucrative. That is why I am doing and getting into doing stuff like that. Business writing (grant writing, resume writing, etc...) can also be good. As I have rambled on for awhile, contact me for info on any of those in detail.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 2:29 PM on Sep. 20, 2010