To spank or not to spank...

This is a spinoff of the recent spanking question:
We as a society have corporal punishment in the form of the death penalty. We are a society that has been involved in "police" actions and wars. We as a society clamor for "killing" and "sterilizing" child molesters. HOW can you NOT spank? Would it not be cruel to allow a child to grow up expecting society to give you a time out then find out you are getting the death penalty? OR sterilization? Both are forms of corporal punishment.
Just want your opinions.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:23 AM on Oct. 19, 2008 in General Parenting

• I believe a spanking not a beating is fine. A hard pat on the behind lets them know you mean business. I tried time-out at home it never worked. Daycare did. My daughter is 7 now and she is a well-rounded smart child. I still can do the 1-2-3 countdown though and she knows I mean business.
    susan220

Answer by susan220 at 8:32 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I agree. It's a harsh world out there, and while I understand wanting to protect your children, I don't see the point in giving them unreasonable perspective of the world.

I spank my children. Not like repeated smacks on the butt, but 1 pop on the butt, hand or mouth. It gets their attention and they KNOW not to do it again. It generally only takes 1 spank per bad thing.

I here stories from other mothers and have witnessed it in public of children just being wild and disrespectful. "Time outs aren't working, what do I do" "My child laughs if I say No" etc. Well, if the word No doesn't come with some sort of consequence, it's meaningless.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:28 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• EVERYONE RUNS THEIR HOUSEHOLD HOW THEY SEE FIT. I THINK THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG IN A HOUSEHOLD THAT IS RUN LIKE A DICTATORSHIP-BECAUSE THE CHILDREN NEVER ARE ALLOWED TO EXPRESS THEMSELVES. NOR DO I THINK IS IS RIGHT WHEN A PARENT WANTS TO BE THE CHILD'S FRIEND FIRST AND PARENTING THEM ON THE BACK BURNER-THIS MAKES FOR A HARD REALITY CHECK LATER ON AND VERY LITTLE RESPECT TO THE PARENT. I PERSONALLY SPANK MY CHILDREN, AND I DO THAT ACCORDING TO AGE AND OFFENSE. I TRY TO RUN MY HOUSE WITH A LITTLE BIT OF FLEXIBILITY, LOVE, AND NO MATTER WHAT I AM THE PARENT AND MY KIDS WILL RESPECT THAT....
    NURSE_MOM_OF_2

Answer by NURSE_MOM_OF_2 at 1:32 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Not spanking our children is what's wrong with a lot of children today! I work with teenagers everyday. There are some really good kids out there. They are the kids who know that there are consequeces to their actions. They know that if they do something wrong their parents will let em' have it. They are the ones that say Yes Mam' and No Mam' and they are the ones that say Please and Thank you. And then there are those kids that will be down right disrespectful and rude to your face. They are the ones that have had no discipline because there parents probably put them in time out instead of spank them. They're the ones that would hit you or shank you like you were in a prison yard for lookikng at them wrong! I HATE those ones. I want to SPANK them myself. But then again they are the ones I"m affraid of!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:40 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• anon...12:40a...I reread my answer and I must clarify. I sound a little angry and didn't mean to. I'm a crossing guard at a High School and was the victim of a really bad kid the other day. He got arrested for his actions. The time-out comment was a little rediculous but the rest ...still feel the same. Again, just wanted to clarify.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:46 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I totally believe in circumstancial spanking, however it is IMPERATIVE that it not be done when you are mad I mean impulsive anger . If the spanking is done when you are able to inforce your love and concern for your childs need to fully be corrected with the understanding of their consequences, it can be the very BEST way to demonstrate your commitment and unconditional love that you have for them.
    h2obare

Answer by h2obare at 8:05 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I agree, there is a major difference in spanking a child and BEATING a child. And at what will be accomplished when the spanking is done. If you spank a child when you are angry that is what you are teaching that is anger results in hitting. LOL I remember plenty of times of my dad telling us he spanked us because he loved us! And as a child I remember thinking UHHHH yeah right! I am a parent that believes in "spare the rod, spoil the child" I also believe in what OP is saying about if children don't learn at home, what will they learn and where? Hence they will go to school and shoot up the school!
    Whoistheboss

Answer by Whoistheboss at 10:10 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• So you are saying since we are violent society, we should hitting our kids to "get them ready"? Wow just wow....
    abs0726

Answer by abs0726 at 12:21 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Spaking is an effective form of discipline, I spank when I need too and I don't have to do it that often. I also use other forms of discipline, time-outs, grounding etc. it depends on what they are in trouble for.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 12:57 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Spanking is wrong. If a child does something that is unacceptable you explain it if they are old enough. Punishment is never right. Any form of discipline is wrong. Its like a child in school who is apparently disruptive to the class - gets told off, disciplined...doesnt deserve it whatsoever..just being a kid but locked in a classroom that is dull and tedious.

A child is their own person and should be allowed to grow and make their own decisions. You should help and be there support but not dictate what to do.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 2:29 PM on Oct. 19, 2008