Why do so many people text? What are you texting?

Please don't bash me for not understanding this.
Is it kinda like a form of instant emailing?
Everywhere I go people are always texting-even where I work, during work hours and it is in our policy stating that it is not allowed during work time.

QandA

Asked by QandA at 6:27 PM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Just for Fun

• It's more convenient than calling someone, and it's basically like instant messaging, only it's portable. There are times when it's just easier to text something than call someone, for various reasons. I text people when I know they can't accept a call, but I need to tell them something or ask them something, and I'm afraid I'll forget before I can talk to them.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 8:04 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Ha..we have 200 texts per month per phone...I used 16 last month (including incoming). I prefer to speak to people and I don't get the whole texting craze either. In the time it takes to send the messages back n forth, you could have called and spoken to the person.

My nephew used over 1200 texts last month....I think they are texting each other while sitting at the same lunch table ....ridiculous.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 6:41 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• its alot easier n more private that acualy talkn on the phone.. thats y i text lol
    sandi_361

Answer by sandi_361 at 6:29 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• i dont have that on my phone. i took it off b/c of getting charged for forwarded crap.
    babybutastink

Answer by babybutastink at 6:30 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Well i text when i need to ask or tell my x something about our children and he's working or its just something minor that i dont want to forget by the time we speak on the phone.
    Angelknot8

Answer by Angelknot8 at 6:32 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• great for non urgent messages, i use it all the time with hubby and girl i babysit for.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 6:34 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I always text. Even when i was working...I would take a bathroom break and text. It's just easier then calling
    Smiley001

Answer by Smiley001 at 6:41 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I am awkward in person/on the phone so I prefer texting. it works to give me time to think about everything i need to get across.
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 6:43 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• It's just easier than calling.  The person can read the text whenever they feel like so getting your message to them isn't dependant on them being able to answer the call.  We have unlimited texting on our phones.  And it comes in handy now.  We just moved and have very limited coverage here.  Inside our house we're lucky to get 1 bar and that goes in and out all day long.  I can't maintain a phone call for more than a few minutes before it gets dropped but I can write a text at my leisure and it will eventually get sent when I get a signal.  It's the only way I can keep in contact with my husband when he's out of the house.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:49 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Like everyone else has said, it's easier than calling. Why don't people handwrite letters as much anymore? Same reason people text.
    momofonelilguy

Answer by momofonelilguy at 7:03 PM on Sep. 19, 2010