I need advice from anyone spiritual.

Ok, to make an incredibly long story short, my husband was raised Christian. He does not believe in the Bible. A certain part of him dismisses the possibility of a God, but at the same time, he told me last night that part of him does believe in something. It was a conversation that we had never gotten so deep into, even after being together for almost 7 years. I learned a lot about him. I asked him if he had faith, and he said that he wants to, but he doesn't know HOW to. Basically, after talking for hours, here is where he stands.

He does gravitate towards believing in something, and he does pray. I finally got out of him, when I asked, "When you pray, do you feel like someone is listening?", the answer yes. He says he wishes he was like me, and had such strong faith in God. He definitely doesn't believe in organized religion, but I assured him that wasn't necessary to believe in God. I don't believe in one true religion.

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 6:29 PM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• My boyfriend is the same, I don't undertand it but I do pray about it and for him everyday. I always tell him how church was. I don't know what else to say or do because it is confusing. Good luck! Here is an extra bump!
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 6:31 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• So, basically, my question is...

As his wife, what can I do to help him? He says he wants to be more spiritual, but that he doesn't know how. He knows a lot about different religions, and he's not looking for one to join. He wants more faith, that's pretty much it. Is there anything I can do, other than pray? I can't make it all more believable to him. Even if there's no way I can help, does anyone have any suggestions on what he can do for himself?

I love my husband very much, and it's very important to me that he explores this part of himself, regardless of what conclusion he comes to. I asked him if he was "at peace" with his beliefs and God, and he said no. I want him to experience the peace that I have.

Does anyone have any advice? If so, it would be greatly appreciated, as this is very important to me.
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 6:32 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• There is nothing wrong with him questioning what he believes in. It's great that you can talk openly about it without criticizing or demeaning the other person. Faith is a journey we take for our whole life, and two people don't have to have the same exact belief about every aspect of God and religion. 

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:35 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I have mentioned many times before, as a witch, I have seen or come in contact with an immense sea of white light that stretches further than I can even imagine. This force is divine in that there is a great energy in it. But it is not cognizant. It doesn't decide what will happen to humanity, nor can it act to stop what happens. It can be molded by our minds to be anything. My devout mother created a loving, compassionate god who protected her from danger and provided for her needs. Adolf Hitler created a god who took bloody and warped revenge on the people he believed killed his Aryan version of Jesus christ. Like the Force in the George Lucas Star Wars films, it is light or darkness--depending on the person using it. Does anything else explain so logically why there are evil people in the world and why innocent people suffer because of them?? To me, it's the whole answer.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 6:38 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• There is nothing wrong with him questioning what he believes in. It's great that you can talk openly about it without criticizing or demeaning the other person. Faith is a journey we take for our whole life, and two people don't have to have the same exact belief about every aspect of God and religion. "

Oh, I know. I'm not trying to convince him to believe what I do, though in a sense, he does. He just doesn't believe it as strongly. The part of him that will only accept things that are rational, logical, and proven is what is keeping him from truly believing, and I understand that. However, he admitted to me that he wants to have more faith, because something inside of him and despite the other part of him, does believe.
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 6:38 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I have mentioned many times before, as a witch, I have seen or come in contact with an immense sea of white light that stretches further than I can even imagine. This force is divine in that there is a great energy in it. But it is not cognizant. It doesn't decide what will happen to humanity, nor can it act to stop what happens. It can be molded by our minds to be anything. My devout mother created a loving, compassionate god who protected her from danger and provided for her needs. Adolf Hitler created a god who took bloody and warped revenge on the people he believed killed his Aryan version of Jesus christ. ...."

Not trying to be rude, but how does this apply to my husband?
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 6:40 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• well maybe he bielieves in *something...but just hasn't really figured out what that means to him exactly
    or...maybe he wants to believe but just can't.
    I'm not sure there is anything you can do that will help- just be there and let him figure it out
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 6:47 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

I'm not sure there is anything you can do that will help- just be there and let him figure it out "

That's pretty much exactly how he feels. The thing is, he's asking ME what he can do to figure it out, lol. I'm like, "Babe, I'm not expert, I don't really know how to help you". I basically told him that id he ever wants to talk to me about it or try anything out, or study anything...I'm here for him.
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 6:49 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• only thing I can offer is tell him he needs to really think about it and maybe do more research/ study on what different people believe and take it from there. He doesn't have to claim ONE thing you know? take what he likes and go with it. I know there are some even on CM that have said they WANT to believe but just can't. It's possible that in the end he may just figure out it isn't really there for him too...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 6:57 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I'm not sure, other than being as supportive as possible. I know that stinks cause he wants you to help, and I'm sure you want to help, but we all know you can't tell someone what or how to believe. Its got to be something he finds for himself. You can encourage him, you can discuss with him, to try to help him think about his faith - little conversations about spirituality that may help him to dig deeper and connect to what he believes or sort it out a little. You can offer reading material, just be there to listen to his doubts or questions/rants/etc.... There are probably some more things you can do, but none of them actually give him any answers, they're all ways of encouraging him to find his answers, because whatever the answer is has to be something that he truly feels.

I do wish him the best of luck! :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:03 PM on Sep. 19, 2010