When did your child start sleeping in a crib?

I was wondering when everyones children started sleeping in their cribs? My son is almost four months and I want to move him into his crib but I'm so worried about it. He currently sleeps in the bassinet next to me in my room. My daughter slept in the same room as me until she was one, but that was because we had no other choice. He would be in the same room as her if I move him to his crib. We live in a apartment and they share a room. So should I move him on over and stop being such a worry wart or let him sleep in the bassinet longer?

twohearts0810

Asked by twohearts0810 at 6:43 PM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son slept next to me in his portable crib until he was 9 months old. I just felt better that way.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:46 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• around 6 months
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 6:50 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Both my girls slept in the bassinet until they were literally too big to fit in it. LOL. I'm pretty sure their heads/feet were touching both ends before I moved them to a crib. It was probably around 5-6 months for both of them. Do whatever feels right! If you feel best with him closer to you, stick with that for a while. (Heck, I kept my 2nd DD's crib in my room until she was almost 14 months! I just didn't want her to wake up her 3yo sister! haha)
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 6:52 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• when she was like 3 weeks old.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 6:53 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• when he came home from the hospital. JJ hated the bassinet
    maddhattermama

Answer by maddhattermama at 6:53 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• My son co-slept with us until he was 18 mos old and then into a full size bed. Our next one though will be used to taking naps in the crib during the day so that I can have the option of putting him/her in the crib once in a while at night, although I we'll still co-sleep, it's so much easier for night nursing! So do whatever feels right and works for you.
    antivaccinemom

Answer by antivaccinemom at 6:55 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• He is too big thats the thing lol. his head touches the top of the bassinet. My DH thinks that I'm just being dramatic. I want to put him in the crib but yet I feel like he should be with his mommy. I don't want him to get used to being with me all the time like his sister is. At night she has nightmares and crawls into bed with me and cuddles. I know it is okay sometimes but she is 2 and has become VERY clingy. I'm wondering if thats why, or if its just because she doesn't see me much,( i work full-time). sigh idk what to do lol
    twohearts0810

Comment by twohearts0810 (original poster) at 7:00 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• i moved my dd into her crib when i bought it she was about 5 1/2 months. before that she was in a pack and play. she has been sleeping in the crib in my room since then. . well if he is not distracted by her then move him over. and same vice versa. it will be an adjustment but its so much easier. my dd was cosleeping and i would go and put her in her crib. and now i just lay her down and its totally awesome. its all me time. sometimes us mom's need that. good luck
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 7:08 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• my daughter is 9 weeks and i switched her a lil over a week ago...it was much rougher on me than it was for her...but she loves her crib and sleeps MUCH better in there...she is now sleeping 5 or 6 hours straight...in her bassinett she was restless...she is also 23.5 inches long so she was getting a bit too big for it...we have a nighttime routine and she goes down between 8:30 and 9 and doesnt even have to be asleep when i put her in it, just drowsy...but ive made it a point to always put her down drowsy so she has learned how to put herself to sleep...its sad to see them grow to the next stage but it has allowed me to get some much needed rest! except for the first night, i was a MESS!! I missed her so much but now i look forward to ME time after she is asleep.
    mamagee1218

Answer by mamagee1218 at 7:13 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• If he's too big it may be dangerous for him to sleep in there (especially if he starts rolling over). We moved our son out of his bassinett that was in our room when he was 2 weeks old because he was way too active to sleep in it.
    Lisa.Price

Answer by Lisa.Price at 7:34 PM on Sep. 19, 2010