One car families, how do you do it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:04 PM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Money & Work

• Well, I don't ever need the car - I don't even drive. DH is the one who works, and we go out to the store or doctor's appointments together. He goes out to pay our bills, and if there's something I need from the store he can bring it home from work.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:06 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• The one who isn't using the car takes the bus. The bus is not such a bad idea! It's a great way to commute.
    momofonelilguy

Answer by momofonelilguy at 7:06 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Walk!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:12 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I don't know what's so hard about it. I didn't even get a license til about a year ago. I never had any reason for it. There is always family or friends who can help out, or good old fashioned walking.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:13 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Most of the time my husband walks to work and I drive because my job is farther away. Some days, if he needs the vehicle, he drops me off in the morning and picks me up at the end of the day. He's self-employed, so has a bit of flexibility.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 7:30 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• We live in Southern California and we recently went down to one car in our family for about a week, it was awful lol. You really need 2 cars around here.
    JuliaW

Answer by JuliaW at 7:43 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• We work opposite hours so the car is almost always here.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 8:23 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• During my first PCS I left my car back home because I couldn't afford to have it shipped just yet. My DH and I shared his car. It worked out fine for me because at the time I was a SAHM. If I needed the car for grocery shopping or an appointment, I would drop my husband off on post, do my errands, pick him up for lunch and get dropped off at home while he took the car back to work. Once I started working, I got my car shipped because there was no way we would be able to share a car when I did In-Home Case Management. I had to drive to client's homes.
    socialworker227

Answer by socialworker227 at 8:41 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• It sucked. It was so hard - we had to work the schedules perfect and rarely got to do anything extra. We would often drop dh off so we could have the car but then I had to drag the kids out late at night to get him. Walking isn't an option for everyon - we live in the stx so waling is way too far it isn't even an option really.

Carpooling with others at work might be an option. You should offer gas money though.
    science_spot

Answer by science_spot at 9:29 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Well, my family is pretty lucky. My husbands work, and my daughters school are literally at the end of my street. I drop him off to work, bring her to school, then come home. He has a company truck to come home for lunch. And has a co worker drop him off after work. lol.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 11:10 AM on Sep. 20, 2010