How can I get my almost 3 yr old completely potty trained?

I've been trying to potty train her for about a year!! She knows exactly how and when to use the toilet, she just chooses not to. Alot! I think she's just being stubborn! She does pretty good using the potty as long as she does not have any clothes on her lower half! But just as soon as she puts on panties or a pull up, she pees in them! She also will hold her #2 until she puts on panties or a pull up! At night, she fills her pull up with pee! I've tried all kinds of rewards, stickers, candy, gum, etc. We have recently bought a kitchen timer and we set it for so many minutes and then have her go to the potty when it goes off. She gets all excited when it goes off and will sit on the potty, but won't always go. Like I said, as long as she's naked she will use the potty (except for #2's, she'll just hold them) but she can't be naked 24/7! So what can I do?

Ravensmom07

Asked by Ravensmom07 at 1:37 AM on Oct. 19, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• No pull ups during the day at all. When she has a bowel movement take her and put it into her potty. My DD also did the bare bottom training. Make sure you make any trips you take short and have her potty right before leaving, No potty then no bye bye.
    imtheonlysane1

Answer by imtheonlysane1 at 2:01 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I say no pull-ups ever. Diapers at night only, panties in the day. In my experience pull-ups just prolonged the whole precess. Be patient at first...she'll get it!
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 2:15 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Buy her some really cute panties. Let her help you pick them out. My dd loved princesses. I would tell her not to poop on the princesses or they would be sad. If she poops in her panties, I would have her dump the poop into the toilet, let her help rinse out the panties so she sees what a chore it is to poop in her pants. I wouldn't scold her, I would just make her help with the cleaning. limit her drinks after dinner so she doesn't go to sleep with a semi full bladder. As for the night, her bladder isn't mature, so it is common for kids to have accidents at night. I would use the pull up at night until she gets a bit older.
    cdgoldilocks

Answer by cdgoldilocks at 4:31 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Ok, so it wouldn't let me put all this in the original question, but I have let her pick out some cute Dora panties and I have told her that Dora would be sad if she used the potty in them. I have also told her that we were going to take them back to the store when she used the potty in them. I have also made her clean her panties up herself. She just started pooping, dumping it in the potty, rinsing them out, then coming to tell me she did it! As far as short trips go, she does fine as long as we are in our town (all we have here is dollar stores), but we have to drive 45 mins to the nearest Walmart or other big grocery stores! I think if she staid the day with someone else and they kept on her about it, she would get it. Problem is, we have no one to do that!
    Ravensmom07

Answer by Ravensmom07 at 11:39 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• my daughter was very stubborn at first she was potty trained for about 1 month the decided she didnt want to anymore and went back to pullups well after 2 months I had it she knew how just didnt want to stop playing etc to go to the potty I got her in dance class and after the first class I told her she couldnt go anymore if she was still in pullups only Big girls get to dance. and the next week 1 day before dance class she brought me her pullups and said mommy no more pullups only big girl underwear I wanna go to dance class and she has been potty trained since and by that friday she was potty trained day and night. maybe find something that your child really wants or enjoys and only let her do it when she goes potty I would take all the pullups away ( my daughter gave hers to the little girl across the street cuz she is a big girl and doesnt need them) Let her pick out her underwear hope this helps a little
    unicorn54166

Answer by unicorn54166 at 3:10 PM on Oct. 20, 2008