venting--movie adaptations of books...

This is just a short vent, so I guess there's no actual question. But I just watched Dear John and thought it was the worst movie adaptation of a book that I have seen so far. Why make a book into a movie if you're going to completely butcher it?? I know not everything can be in the movie and things are going to be different between what's in your head while reading and what's filmed, but still...that was horrible!

dlandrum

Asked by dlandrum at 7:51 PM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Entertainment

• No question the book is always better, though I have seen some good movies based on books. The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, Stand By Me (based on The Body by Stephen King) were all really good movies that followed the books pretty well. But things like My Sister's Keeper where they totally changed the ending just suck. It's like they pick a few things from the book, a couple characters and a couple minor situations or side story lines and go from there and forget the main storyline. Simon Birch was a great example of this. It's based off A Prayer For Owen Meany and is sooooo different. Ugh :(
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 8:53 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• The worst I remember is "The Shinig" with Jack Nicholson. I had read and loved the book by Stephen King but watching the movie, I kept thinking when do we get to the same storyline. I hate when they do that!
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 7:58 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I didn't see Dear John but I did read the book. I wasn't impressed with the book so seeing the movie isn't something that even appealed to me. I thought The Time Traveler's Wife was the worst book to movie I've seen lately.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 10:32 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I usually always prefer the books to the movies... I don't know why. I read "the girl next door" by jack ketchum (i think) and then watched the movie and it suuuucked! They leave out so many things in the movie its aggravating
    PerfectLove910

Answer by PerfectLove910 at 7:55 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• The only one that I will say I liked the movie better was The Notebook...I actually thought The Notebook had more detail in the movie than in the book. But other than that the books have been WAY better!!! And I understand why in terms of imagination, you picture things a certain way while reading...but in terms of story line and leaving things out it's just wrong! The movies that I've seen, to me, have left out MAJOR parts that should be included...
    dlandrum

Comment by dlandrum (original poster) at 9:04 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I haven't read The Time Traveler's Wife, but I saw the movie and liked it. Took me a bit to really understand what was going on, but I would watch it again
    dlandrum

Comment by dlandrum (original poster) at 10:34 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Honestly, the worst film adaptations I've ever seen were of Anne Rice books, most especially Exit to Eden. And yes, it's so disappointing when some hack takes a book you loved and turns it into a visual crapfest.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 12:25 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Time travelers wife is one that skipped a lot of the good stuff that was in the book. I felt if you only saw the movie then you didjn't understand a lot. You kinda had to read the book first. I have a rule that I always read the book first on all movies I want to see, then when I do read the book, it won't disappoint me.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 10:52 PM on Sep. 20, 2010