anyone ever called child protective services on you or someone you know when you or the person do not abuse your kids?

if YOU saw something that could be a danger to a child, would you talk to the parent first (not talking about physical abuse or sexual) or would you go straight to the phone?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:51 PM on Sep. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• It depends...a lot of things could be dangerous. Do I call CPS every time , no. Unless the child is being beat, molested, neglected, or left unattended I mind my own business.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:54 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• my daughters' old dr called dss on me to be vengeful (i told them i was changing drs..... long story, not a good dr.) and i now have it on my record for 5 years. that was 2 weeks ago, and dss told me they're closing the case. (the 5 years sucks, but i can understand.... kind of.)

i would definitely talk to the person first... theres always something going on that we don't know about.... just reminding them, is sometimes good enough. i wouldn't call DSS unless it was something major.... just like i wouldn't call the police.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 7:56 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Several years ago, my neighbor was trying to wean her son from the pacifier. He began sucking on his arm as a replacement behavior. He was sucking so hard, he was actually giving himself hickeys on his forearm! Most of the neighborhood knew about it, it was summer and it was the type of neighborhood where we where most of us were outside talking to each other and our kids playing with each other all the time. One of the neighbors, who wasn't very friendly, felt that the marks were not from him sucking his arm and called Children and Youth. They sent someone out to investigate. If the neighbor had even asked anyone one of the rest of us, we could have said something, but it was all good as it was unfounded anyway.
    I think, depending on what they behavior might be, and if the people seemed receptive, I might try to talk to them first, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:57 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• It honestly depends on what I saw, and how well I knew them. I've only called CPS one time, and the kids were truly neglected.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 8:00 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I've heard of stories of people calling CPS because someones child ran down the road once or "too skinny" or they think the children are home alone. I use to run a childcare and have heard of so many stories that the CPS should not have even been involved, these were good parents and did not abuse or neglect there kids. The person's son that ran down the road was 2 and he learned how to climb out of the crib and unlock the door- and when she realized he had gone out he took off.Should CPS been called during that specifice time NO! She new what happened and children do those things! Some people need to cause drama for others. We need to report things that we beleive is abuse but some things can be worked out with the parent. She went out and purchased more safety locks ect, the next day but still got her name and childrens name put on the CPS list of "abuse calls"and had to take parenting classes.
    lovmyhubby

Answer by lovmyhubby at 8:01 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I have had someone call on me and say that my children were malnourished and sick but I wouldn't take them to the doctor or care for them. Sadly this was my (supposedly) friend and babysitter at the time.

I came home to two police officers at my door with two CPS reps. They went in my home, looked at my children, saw that they were not sick nor malnourished in ANY way (unless of course the proper foods that were in my cabinet and fridge were incorrect on my part or maybe even the rolls the girls had on their chunky little bodies showed how malnourished they were, lol) had me sign a form saying they wouldn't release my information to anyone and they left.

I have never had problems since. She was fired immediately and lucky I didn't kill her for trying to play a stupid game like that. And it was all because my youngest daughter (6 months at the time) had a runny nose (from birth and still now) and only ate every 3 hrs!
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 8:11 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• While the girl who called on me, herself and her baby were WAY overweight and her baby ate every hour or so which is why she thought I was starving my baby.

And as I said she still has the runny nose to this day. :( Sinuses like her mommy.
    Memigen

• we had an oven fire that took the fire dept. to get out. Only the oven was damaged by fire, the rest was smoke damaged. these two neighbors who myself and another were having problems with called CPS on both of us. We both had visits but nothing bad came out of it. One good thing though, the CPS worker told my teen daughter she could do a better job at cleaning her room. And both of the neighbors have since moved.
    missisue

Answer by missisue at 8:57 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• If I felt the child/children were in danger in any manner. Regardless of the reason I would call CPS immediately. I would not get involved with the parents, I would call CPS.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:03 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Oh and I forgot to say .. DH's cousin had CPS called on him and his girlfriend a few months back. They were living with her dad, their toddler, and on weekends his school age boys. Someone called CPS on them and they were investigated. Nothing came of it other then them having to move from the dad's home due to his Pot use.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:05 PM on Sep. 19, 2010