High amniotic fluid?

After my anatomy scan at 19 weeks my doctor called and said that my amniotic fluid was measuring a little too high. They had me go in for the glucose test early..and I passed that. So I'm just wondering how many of you ladies have/had this issue while pregnant? What was the cause..how did everything turn out? I plan to talk to my doctor more at my appointment tuesday and I believe from now on I'm going to have an AFI done at every visit.

PerfectLove910

Asked by PerfectLove910 at 8:12 PM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I had a lot of amniotic fluid. The doctor didn't say what the cause was, but I ended being totally fine and so did my baby.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 8:18 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• All 3 of my pregnancies I have had higher than the highest amount of fluidthat is considered over normal. I have big babies 10 pounders so that is the reason why for me. I am at 34 weeks now and I go to the hospital every 2-3 days for NST's and BPP's to monitor baby and fluid. Having high amounts of fluid makes you have contractions too. I am on Procardia every 4 hours to help lessen them but they don't go away. At times I have one every 10 minutes. I also go to the doctor more often than normal.
    My first two weren't affected by the high amounts of fluid. But my first I had natural and was 10.5lbs and he got stuck in the birth canal and he has a seizure disorder and he is 18 now and doing okay but he is on meds and is not allowed any physical activity, amusement parks or anything that can cause him head injury.My 2nd baby was totally fine had absolutely no problems. I am hoping this one will be okay too.
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 9:12 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Oh wow! I have 3 other kids and never had this problem...they were all average sized babies at birth. I really hope things work out okay for you and your little one! Does the high amount of fluid make you have more back pain as well?? I swear it's been awful this time..and getting worse. I'm 22 weeks now. I'm so curious as to what the doctor says. ugh waiting! lol
    PerfectLove910

Comment by PerfectLove910 (original poster) at 9:16 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I had this. Its called polyhydramnios if you want to look it up. They are going to go over all the things that can cause it with you. Dont get scared. Some of the things are birth defects. They checked my fluid levels by ultrasound every week. I was measuring 5 weeks ahead because i had so much. It was from diabetes. My son was happy and healthy. 8lb 8oz at 39 weeks. Too much fluid doesnt mean a big kiddo. My friend was measuring way ahead too cause of her fluid and her daughter was 7lb even on her due date. If you have questions about it feel free to message me.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 12:49 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I do have back pain but I think it's a combination of both being pregnant and having a lot of fluid and already having a full size baby at this stage. I wish I had better news for you regarding the pain and the heaviness but it will get harder as the weeks go on, For me personally at 24 weeks is when I was slowly wasn't able to walk as easy or do any house work too. I have been on bed rest as much as possible since week 28 because of contractions and back pain. I do get up now and then but for only ten or so minutes every few hours. Literally counting the hours until he is born. I haven't even gotten to the nursery so I am a bit stressed about that.
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 12:17 PM on Sep. 20, 2010