!!!PLEASE HELP ME!!!

My breasts REALLY hurt. I just stoped breastfeeding my daughter yesterday. And my breasts are engorged. I'm wearing tight sports bras. I've been using ice packs. I've taken some ibuprofen. BUT IT'S NOT HELPING!!! It's also not helping that my husband keeps wanting to touch them...they're engorged DD's so I can't blame him...I just want to kill him ;)

Any tips?

How long will this last?

-THANKS

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:41 AM on Oct. 19, 2008 in Health

• should last about 3-4 days.

DO NOT EXPRESS ANY MILK!!! this will only cause you to produce more.

one remedy is cold, raw cabbage leaves inside your bra. change it when it wilts.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 2:44 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• VERY SERIOUS, don't laugh, it works. Well ok laugh but it really works. Take green cabbage leaves and put them in your bra. keep doing this (use them cold and when they warm change them.) It feels good against the skin and for some reason makes milk go away.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:45 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Ok, the answer to not express ANY milk is wrong. That can cause an infection. You should express just enough to take the edge off.
    Continue to wear your tight sportsbra (no silly binding with Ace bandages or anything like that) because if you do not wear a tight bra day and night, loose fabric will stimulate your nipples, causing you to create MORE milk and give you more pain.
    It takes time honey. It is a painful process, but for me it only lasted 2 days. Some women it lasts a week. But it WILL get better, I promise!!
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:49 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Right now they're so full the milk is just flowing. So much that the breast pads keep overflowing. I'm afraid to go to sleep cause I can't sleep on my back, and I know that if I sleep on my side it's just going to "express the milk". And with the way that it's flowing right now I don't think the cabbage thing will work.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:53 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Take a warm shower and just allow the milk to flow. I agree with taking the edge off and wearing a tight bra, and also USE THE CABBAGE LEAVES. Been there done this. It WORKS.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:58 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I just found this online:

The best way is to wean your baby gradually. You may start by shortening the baby’s nursing time at the breast by about 5 minutes every other day, then by 10 minutes, or by increasing the intervals between feeds at the breast. This alone will slow milk production over time, and usually takes about a month to 6 weeks to stop lactating all together.

For faster pain free slowing, you can drink sage tea or mint tea.

For fastest slowing, a few once-daily doses of Sudafed (60 mg) usually cause a rapid decline in milk production.

Finally, cabbage leaves (crushed and cold) are for the treatment of engorgement, but may also help in slowing down the process of lactation.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:02 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I agree with the cabbage leaves. I tried this myself and it feels soooo goood........
    cdgoldilocks

Answer by cdgoldilocks at 4:09 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Yeah i stopped breast feeding and they told me to take warm showers and let it run on my breasts and it just let some of the pressure go away but as soon as I got out of the shower they were back full again. I used ice packs and it helped too but not just ice pack to skin, have a thin towel too or something. I thought they had some pill to dry up the milk?
    Anonymous