Anybody with advice on gallbladder surgery? I"m really nervous.

I will be having my gallbladder removed on tuesday and I am very nervous about this. My 5yr. son is partial to me and does not let his daddy do much for him and I am wondering how we are going to make it through this. Is there anybody that has any thoughts or comments on this that will help. Maybe a few stories to let me know what to expect. Thanks for listening.

txmomof1

Asked by txmomof1 at 3:14 AM on Oct. 19, 2008 in Health

• throwing up, weak for the 1st few days
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:23 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• My mom and one of my brother's both had their gallbladders removed. I don't remember anything specific about it except that they had a surgery and had to take it easy. My youngest daughter was really attached to me and didn't care for her dad to much when I had to stay away from home for 72 hours when I took radioactive iodine. My having to be gone was probably the best thing that ever happened to their relationship. She did really good, and depends on her dad just as much as me.

Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 3:31 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• My best advice to you is not to worry yet, you still have 2 full days for that :)

Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 3:33 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Most gallbladder surgeries these days are laproscopic. They make 3 tiny incisions in your tummy and you are done with the procedure the same day. I am sure you will be sore for a couple of days, but with some tylenol or pain medicine and you will be fine.
    cdgoldilocks

Answer by cdgoldilocks at 3:37 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Let me put it this way: Compared to how you feel now( Iassume you have gallstones) the surgery is going to be the best thing for you. Its a little uncomfortable, not unbearable.Your son is 5, so let him do things for you, and it will help both of you.I had mine removed eons ago, so now the surgery has only improved. I had no problems afterward at all except mild discomfort, and thats a lot better than the late night pain, the hurting, etc.Good Luck and don't worry, it will be fine!
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 5:26 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Laparascopic gall bladder surgery is so easy. You'll be pretty out of it your first day at home, but up and about within two days.

I did wind up staying overnight after my surgery, although I wasn't originally scheduled to. Since my husband was working long hours, I stayed at my parents' house. They took care of me and my then eight month old son.

I was up by the second day, staples out after a week. Aside from the change of residence for a few days, it was pretty much a breeze. I've had worse bouts with the flu.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:49 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• When I had my hysterectomy it was hard on my daughter. My husband works shifts and I am around her more. She loves her daddy but mom is always there. She had a rough time the first night I was away but she got used to it. My husband just made sure to spend a little extra time with her and have some fun.
    susan220

Answer by susan220 at 8:20 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• its really pretty easy. i just had mine out saturday night. youll be sore abd may have some nausea but bothing more then that. if you were anything like me, having attacks every night, these side effects will be a walk in the park compared to what youve been through.
    KMS8907

Answer by KMS8907 at 6:27 AM on Oct. 27, 2008