What do you think about the father in Florida who got on his daughter's bus and yelled at the kids who were bullying his daughter?

If you hadn't heard, a girl (with cerebral palsy) has been bullied by kids at school. It continued after the father notified the school, and to my knowledge, the school didn't do anything. So, he got on the bus one day, yelled at the kids and said he'd kill anyone who messed with his daughter. The daughter is on suicide watch now. What do you think about this situation?

HeatheranninSP

Asked by HeatheranninSP at 8:43 PM on Sep. 19, 2010 in

• I have had some experience with unresolved bullying of my special needs son on the bus and in school. I can totally agree with losing it in this manner becoming a possibility. The schools can be so difficult to work with and expect the kids to resolve things that adults should be supervising and resolving, especially with children who have special needs. My son is different, he has tics and unusual mannerisms with Asperger's Syndrome, I cannot tell you how many times a day other kids give him crap. It is scary as he also has muscular dystrophy, so if he got in a fight, he could get seriously injured. I heard that this kid put a condom in her hair among other things. I don't understand the school not suspending this bullying child from the bus, this parent went overboard, but understandibly so...I can see my husband flipping out.
    kerryket

Answer by kerryket at 8:59 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Threatening was going too far, but I have to give him kudos for actually stepping up and trying to protect his daughter.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 8:48 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I don't blame him for saying something, but the threats were too much.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 8:47 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I have not heard about this. But, I feel bad for everyone. The girl and the father. I would have to know more before I can come to any real conclusions.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:47 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• He was emotional, I don't blame him one tiny bit. The children knew what they were doing and in my mind they're the sick ones.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 8:48 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• He did the wrong thing but at least he wanted to try.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 8:48 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Exactly what leah_rai said! I don't blame him, I blame the other kids parents for not teaching their children how to treat others with compassion. I hope he sues the families of those kids for abusing a disabled person.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 8:55 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• not that i can say i blame him, but i think he went a little far with the death threats.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 8:56 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Apparently, he spoke to the bus driver AND the school and no one did anything. If he wasn't getting any help from anyone, he did what he thought he had to do.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:58 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I can totally understand how /why he snapped. My son has been dealing with being picked on now for about the last 3 yrs. Even starting high school in a new state hasn't helped so you can bet your ass i was down there on Friday sticking up for him and letting them know all about it.
    He absolutely should stick up for his daughter. I think he went about it the wrong way though- I mean getting on the bus and telling the kids that he would not stand for it is one thing...screaming that he'd KILL them if they bothered her anymore was too much. NOT ok for an adult to tell ANY child he'd kill them. Yes he was upset, but it could have been handled better
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:02 PM on Sep. 19, 2010