i've had a job for 2 weeks, and i've already been told i might get fired.

i've been at home my with my daughter since she was born. shes 4, and in preschool now, and i just got a job so i can help out while she's in school.i've been working at a fabric and craft store for 2 weeks, as a cashier.there was an orientation where we got a tour of the store, and i was shown how to do basic things on a register, cause i'd never used one before. most of the time i am alone on the register, and i think i have been doing ok, for this being my first job. i have had to ask for help with a few things, but for the most part i thought i was doing fine. i have had a few problems with some customers, them not being happy with how their stuff rang up, thinking the price was too high, having to ring them up again to make sure i did it right, coupons not working, so that's when I’d ask for help.

julianasprotege

Asked by julianasprotege at 8:52 PM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Money & Work

• i was called to the office and one manager told me that if i dont improve in the next few days, i wont be put on the schedule anymore, basically fired. I was told I was asking for help too much, and that they can’t afford to schedule someone to work with me cause they don’t want too many hours scheduled. I really need this job, if I lose it we wont be able to pay for the preschool my daughter goes to. I talked to another manager there, and she said she thinks im doing fine, especially since no one really trained me, and stayed with me all day my first day to show me everything. Other coworkes said I shouldn’t take it personally, cause they were asking for help the first month being there. But how can I not take it personal when I was singled out and told I wasn’t doing a good enough job? I had the weekend off, and I go to work tomorrow, and I guess depending on how they think I do, I could still have a job, or not
    julianasprotege

Comment by julianasprotege (original poster) at 8:53 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I just wanted to know if any one else has been through anything like this, or has any advice for me. I really am trying hard to learn how to do everything, and to remember all the stuff I need to. I feel like I can’t ask for help anymore if I’m not sure about something.
    julianasprotege

• get fired for what?? Being new and not as good as those who have been there longer? That's stupid! if anything you can find a better job where your treated better
    Smiley001

Answer by Smiley001 at 8:53 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• They should have someone standing beside you for at least a week and showing you the ropes. They can't expect even an experienced cashier, and certainly not somebody new, to pick it up without help. I agree, you should be able to find something where the supervisors treat you better.

Answer by Bmat at 8:56 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I would take it personal too. That would stress me out more and I'd probly mess up more.

Just do your best. That's all you can really do. Maybe the manager was having a bad day or something. I think they keep track of how many times you ring something up and then take it off and do it again though. They did that to me at walmart and i got warned one time about doing it too much but sometimes you can't help it.

If they question the price do a price check or if its not a big change you might be able to change it
    Smiley001

Answer by Smiley001 at 8:56 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Try to stay as long as possible, it will look better on your resume That manager just needed someone to crap on, sounds like.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 8:58 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• i was hired as seasonal, since they are going to be busy for the holidays, and they said 'we will be getting busier, and i don't know if you can handle it, you need to improve in the next few days'. they weren't rude or mean when they said it, but it really upset me. i understand that i'm new, but i feel like i can handle it, i've had a few customers that i've had problems with, and needed help with, but for the most part, i think i'm doing well, i ring people up quickly, and thats the most important thing to me.
    julianasprotege

Comment by julianasprotege (original poster) at 8:58 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Ask for more training............that you want to be able to take care of any situation when it comes up. GL!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:01 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• It just comes with time, when I think of any job I 've done I was always unsure of myself in the begining, but with time it will just come natrually. Just keep doing your best!!!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 9:06 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Keep your eye out for something else in the mean time, and maybe even try to schedule some interviews when you can. You don't really want to be working some place where they're not willing to train you anyway. Don't wait for the other shoe to drop to start looking for something else. Also - don't take their lack of patience personally. A good leader knows how to train and motivate their employees with out threats.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:06 PM on Sep. 19, 2010