Any mom's out there who HOME SCHOOL their kids?

My son is 21 months old and I refuse to send him to a public school around where I live. No way! I will home school him if my husband and I can not afford to send him to private school. Any one else feel this way?

DonnaD40

Asked by DonnaD40 at 3:36 AM on Oct. 19, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm sure you'llf find plenty of moms who do.

I could not homeschool. I cannot even potty train my 2 year old, how could I teach my teen physics when I never even had it lol :)

There's lots of support groups out there!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:26 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• We probably won't homeschool--where we are moving the public school system is excellent, as are the non-religious private schools...plus there aren't alot of homeschooling resources in the area compared to where we are stationed now. I went to school for secondary ed--I have seen the good and bad of both and I'm not diehard either way, I just believe in the best education for my children, which laregely depends on your community and what you, as a family, feel are the most important aspects of an education.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 4:36 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Well my son will be home schooled in a way. I am planning on enrolling him in the Florida Virtual Academy, which is a public online school. Since it is part of the public school system all materials are provided for free. They use the K12 curriculum which is supposed to be excellent. If you wanted to straight up home school, you could buy the K12 curriculum to use for about $90 per month. With the FVA he will do all his work at home, but a teacher/administrator never has to come to the house. A certified teacher is available for conference calls if I or my son need some extra help, and all his work will be mailed in for official grading. My son loves to take charge of his learning, he is very self-motivated, and so I think this will be perfect him.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 8:28 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I homeschool and love it. As far as the best education my daughter is getting that right here at home. There are many resources to help the parent teach subjects that they don't know anything about. public school was never an option for us where we live and even if they were I don't want my children indoctrinated to be good little serfs by the government. We tried privates schools (several) and she just did not get the challenge that she needed. She was miserable. We brought her home and she is happier and we are happier.
    luvmybabieskna

Answer by luvmybabieskna at 8:46 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• First year of homeschooling and loving it. My kids are in 1st and 2nd grade (6-7 years old). They both attended public school for 2 years; but decided it homeschool them. Loving it!!!
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 9:04 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I don't know where you live but here there are a FEW private schools that are paid by the state... But you would have to get in NOW!! There is also the option of charter schools... If you become house parents (and take in other students) your son's tuition would be discounted...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:29 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I homeschool and love it. I just started this year (my daughter is in 3rd grade). We had so many issues with the public schools that she attended that we decided to try a hand at homeschooling. There are several groups here on Cafemom that are just for homeschooling.
    InkedVixen

Answer by InkedVixen at 1:21 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• My husband and I chose to homeschool our children not only because the public schools are so anti-God, but because the quality of education there is, in our opinion, very lacking. My children were given to me to raise and I wasn't gonna give that blessing to anyone else. We started homeschooling our first daughter, who is now almost 24, back when it was virtually unheard of and very misunderstood. We love the bond we created and still share, with her and our 17 yr. old son. And now with a 2 & 3yr old, we're blessed to get to do it again! It's not easy and many days you ask yourself what in the world you were thinking! But, when we look at the quality people they have become, we know it was the right decision.
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 2:02 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• That is exactly how I feel. I remember learning stuff in school that I didn't understand, or was even ready to understand (like things about sex) I am not talking about sex-ed, I mean from other kids who didn't understand it either.
    I want my child to be a child as long as she can. But not all parents feel that way. They want their kids to be tiny adults. And those kids act older than they are, and know things that they shouldn't. I want to be in control of what she learns. I also remember that I never felt safe at school and that I was always bored. I want her to be safe and challenged and always learning.
    evilabbysmom

Answer by evilabbysmom at 2:41 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Homeschooling our 4 yr old, so far, so good. Public school has never even been an afterthought...we've allways been set on homeschooling.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 7:52 PM on Oct. 19, 2008