Best way to approach someone?

So my daughter wants to take her drivers ed class and i'm willing to sign her up for it, however her dad(my ex), says he doesn't want her taking it until her grades improve(even tho she's getting C's and better). I feel he's holding her back. I spoke to my lawyer who says its perfectly within my legal rights to go ahead with it. How do I approach my ex H to avoid conflict as I'm concerned he may harrass our daughter as well if she takes the class. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:22 PM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Tell him that he can hold off the actual driving until the grades improve and in the mean time she can get the instruction, and practice in the class.

Answer by older at 9:24 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I have to say I agree with the x. Driving is a HUGE responsibility... if she isn't putting the effort forth to get good grades then she shouldn't be allowed such a huge privilege. Cs are NOT good grades... unless she truely is giving a 100% and is simpy a C student, in which case you really need to get a tutor.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 9:52 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• i kind of agree with the ex...although i think she should be allowed to take the class and get her license i think she should not be allowed to actually drive until her grades improve which may be incentive because if she has her license she may work harder in school just so she can drive but if she doesn't have the license she may not see the point in trying harder...can't drive anyway...some kids need a "carrot" danglin' in front of their face to finish the race a little more swiftly, get my meaning...good luck!
    MomInc

Answer by MomInc at 11:39 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I agree with your ex. She needs to carry a B average or else your car insurance will sky rocket. It will anyway but with a B average, you get a good student discount. She needs to prove she is responsible to get her license and that means good grades that will help keep costs down. My son will not even get his temps unless he maintains a B average from now until he turns 15.5. He has a little over a year to prove himself. A license is a privelege NOT a right.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:21 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Sorry, but I agree with your ex on this one too. Unless she is just a C student - she should bring her grades up to what her full potential level is and then she can talk about driving. My daughter carried a 3.7 her freshman year and therefore was able to take Driver's Ed in the Spring. She now has her permit and will be eligible for her license in March, but only if her GPA is still high. Grades are far more important than a Driver's License and if the student has the ability to be an A/B student, then that should be the focus.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:47 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• i would talk to him asking him if you were to at least get her her license then when she gets them she will not be able to drive on her license until her grades get up then she can do what she wants or needs. and make sure she knows that you are getting them just because she is doing good but she is not allowed to drive until she gets her grades up . you also could use this as her beinga ble to get her licences is if she is being good and not getting into trouble either at home or school she can get her licence but her driving privaliges are taken away till her grades go up
    luv2run88

Answer by luv2run88 at 10:03 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• the ladys are right
    LoVe4Free

Answer by LoVe4Free at 3:33 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I also agree
    sherryv07

Answer by sherryv07 at 11:29 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Is there some sort of compromise you can come up with?
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 12:56 PM on Sep. 21, 2010