Is it possible to have a pleasant Birth experience?

I have heard and read many stories of women who have had home births and had a wonderful, empowering experience. I have also heard many stories of women having terrible birthing experiences in hospitals. I am trying to find out if there are women who have had pleasant, empowering birth experiences in a hospital because I would love to do a home birth but I don't think our house is a good place to birth a child. The nearest home like birthing center is 2 hours away. What are your thoughts? I am a first time expectant mother and want to make it a great experience.

reniam

Asked by reniam at 9:42 PM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Yes! It's not only possible but it's done daily. I know of a couple of women I've talked to that have had pools in their home, and sat right their soaking in luxury and had the baby come out into the water. These pools are the type that have the tube going around the entire circumference filled with air, they are not really expensive. I would have done this type of birthing but my baby was breech and my dr. required that I had a c-sec emergency at the hospital. If you have a good lying position for the baby, and it's head is in proper alignment, and ready for take-off, then have it at home, as long as your vitals are pretty normal, keep it as an option!
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 9:47 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I had a great hospital birthing experiance with my daughter. I think if you know what you want and make it clear from the beginning it helps. One of my nurses was also a certified midwife and she made sure the day turned into everything that I wanted. Have a plan but also be willing to let things go as they happen. Don't let anyone tell you that you just have to lay in bed and wait...(unless you have an epidural...its not a good idea to get up during that time) Get up and move around, my midwife had me lean against the side table that is in every room (raise its height up to you) and then I did the hula :)
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 10:02 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I loved my birth, it came with pain but i t hink some women can channel out the pain and look at the bigger picture.. some women just are scared and focus on the pain. BUT i was watching discovery health and this lady claimed she had an orgasm when she had her first child and almost had on with her second.. lol soo yeah.. you should look up that episode on discovery health channel
    SammiGirl07

Answer by SammiGirl07 at 10:27 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I had three babies in hospitals and they were more or less pleasant-particularly the second and third. I am just not a high-maintenance woman and I relaxed and enjoyed the experience. I see too many Moms here having fits and swearing they had a "birth plan" and the Doctor wouldn't go with THEIR plan,Ha. How conceited. Babies are born all the time....the baby's experience is most important and having a safe birth in a hospital is more important than your own "drama".
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:04 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I had a really nice home birth in my living room in an inflatable pool. Idid hypnobirthing for comfort. It was really nice. No crying, no screaming, my DD didn't cry when she came up out of the water. My husband cried.

Birth is what you make it. Get educated and know what your options are. It is your baby and your body. You know what is best for your family.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:10 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• What is it about your house?

I had this, too... Fortunately there were birth centers nearby.

I do know of midwives that use their own homes for their client's homebirths. And I know of women who will birth at a friend's home or at a hotel, even.
    Seems a bit extreme perhaps, but the outcome is well worth stepping outside the box...

Maybe with help, we can work on the issues with your place or help you find another location.

Having been to births in these 3 locations, and as a birth junkie, I strongly encourage moms to avoid the hospital if possible.

Best wishes!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:01 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Working for an OBGYN, my opinion is that it's safer for you and the baby to give birth in a hospital. Yes, women have been giving birth at home for centuries, but the infant-mother mortality rate was a lot higher then. I would just want the best odds to ensure my baby is delivered safely and by professionals. No matter which method, giving birth is a tremendously overwhelming experience. A "pleasant" birth experience will only be determined by your outlook and attitude.
    CassyzMom

Answer by CassyzMom at 3:41 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I had a pleasant birthing experience in a hospital. :)

Although birth with my son was pretty quick. I had an epidural at 8 cms, ended up drifting in and out of sleep until they came in and told me it was time, and he was out after only 20 minutes or so of pushing.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:45 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Definitely do your research on the hospital you plan on giving birth at and make sure you and your doctor are on the same page. If you can have a midwife at your hospital, even better.

The US ranks 29th in the world for infant mortality.

"The U.S. infant mortality rate is higher than rates in most other developed countries," note CDC researchers Marian F. MacDorman, PhD, and T.J. Mathews. "The relative position of the United States in comparison to countries with the lowest infant mortality rates appears to be worsening."

The World Health Organization recommends, at the highest, at 15% c-section rate. The US rate is double that.

The hospital I gave birth at is really natural birth friendly compared to the other hospital in our town. The birth was fairly pleasant (other than the pain LOL). However, if I have another baby, I'm doing a homebirth. The Business of Being Born and Pregnant in America are two good movies.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:21 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I had pleasant birth experiences with both my children, and they were both born in the hospital. I'd suggest doing research on all the facilities in your area and pick what seems like the best fit to you. If possible, talk to people who have given birth at your local hospital and see what they thought.

And realize that not everything goes according to plan when it comes to babies. My best friend planned to use a midwife and give birth in a birthing center--in a birthing pool. But her water broke and she went into labor when she was 34 weeks and more than 2 hours away from home, and she had to give birth in the hospital with a doctor she'd never met before. Despite all that, she says the experience was good.
    jilby

Answer by jilby at 3:35 PM on Sep. 20, 2010