How soon did you start pumping after LO was born?

I am exclusively BFing and DS is now 5 days old. My milk came in Friday (he was born Tuesday). I am not sure when I should start pumping. I am not planning on giving him a bottle for a while because I gave him a pacifier the day he got circumsized and then that whole night he refused to latch so im afraid of nipple confusion. What do you all think I should do as far as pumping goes? I also dont want to end up with an OVER supply if I'm pumping and increasing my supply and not skipping feedings...I am not returning to work so I dont have to worry about having a stockpile, DH and family just want to be able to feed him sometimes but I dont want to push the bottle until he is a pro at the breast.

LLE672

Asked by LLE672 at 9:44 PM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started pumping about 5 hours after dd was born.my milk came in the next day.
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 9:45 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I have stayed at home with all three of mine and I found that even if I had a supply on hand, my babies would not take bottles. The problem is that I am at home and they were used to nursing on demand and the few times other people tried to give bottles, the baby wouldn't drink it because they prefered the breast and didn't know what to do. They would "drink" maybe 2 oz, which basically was all over them and not in their mouth. It just didn't work well for me. I know others might have better advice but this was my experience so I thought I would share! Good luck!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:03 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• i started pumping when i got painfully engorged. it gave me relief, i saved the milk, and it didnt interfere with production.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 10:06 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I started pumping as soon as my milk came in. My son is 16 days old, and he's fed only out of a bottle because I had to go back to school just five days after he was born, and he DID start to refuse the breast when I was home. I now pump as often as possible and I have a good supply of milk in the freezer.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 10:06 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I waited until dd was 8 weeks old so that I wouldn't wind up with an oversupply or get too sore. As long as you and your baby are well established with nursing, pumping won't hurt. I would wait until 5 weeks to give a bottle though to lessen the chance of nipple confusion. Start by pumping once a day an hour after the "breakfast" nursing session, increase as necessary but don't overdo it or you will get way sore. Unless you want to solely pump, then pump every time your baby takes a bottle until you get at least the same number of ounces as the baby took from the bottle.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 10:10 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I started pumping in the hospital the night my LO was born (He was a week early). Unfortunately my milk never really came in enough and i was only able to nurse/pump for a month. I hope you have better luck! Stick with it :)
    BraythansMom

Answer by BraythansMom at 11:34 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• He would not latch. So after 12 hours of him not i started pumping and putting it in a medicine cup and feeding him. I tried and tried and tried to get him to latch but he wasnt interested. I pumped for 6 weeks then my milk ran out. I was able to get him through 7 weeks of it cause of the frozen milk i had stocked up :) I hope i have better luck/support with my next kiddo :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 12:40 AM on Sep. 20, 2010