She wants a kitten anybody take care of one of these before?

A friend is giving away kittens and my daughter wants one.I'm wondering what and how much the shots are and what I need to make a kitten at home.So far it's potty trained,will soon be weaned off milk,the mother cat never took care of them.They are only a couple weeks old,how long do they have to be on the cat milk?Don't you have to get their claws trimmed,like how many times per year if they'll be a indoor cat?Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:46 PM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Pets

• http://www.all-about-cute-kittens.com/taking-care-of-kittens.html

Sorry, I'm a Mom of 3 large Dogs so I looked this up.. Hope it helps.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:48 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I would recommend not getting one that the mother never took care of. If this is your first experience with cats, I would get one that had a normal first few weeks. Not being with MOM, that kitten didn't get some life lessons that other one's that age did. A litter box and food and water bowl is all you'll need. Shots for a cat isn't too much $. I would only trim its nails if it is distroying furniture. Make sure you get it fixed!
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 9:50 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• normally they are about six weeks old before you can wean them and have them only on cat food. We have the health care plan through pet smart for our cat. you pay a monthly fee that covers all office visits and shots, you get discounts on things that arent covered by the plan. We have one of the least expensive plans because our cat is now an adult and pay about $14 a month I think, when he was a baby I had a more expensive plan that included a surgery (nueter/spay/declaw) it was about $22 a month for a year. You can trim thier nails at home or you can have the vet do it...they usually trim my cats claws when we take him in for his checkups/shots. If you keep a scratch post and other toys for them to claw at they wont need trimmed as often.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 9:54 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• If these kittens are only a couple of weeks old I would not get one. I have bottle raised many litters and while it may only be one kitten it is a lot of work you have to feed them about every 3 hours. If you really want to get a kitten then you should go to a shelter and find one that is about 8 weeks or so.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:31 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• i agree with the other ladies
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 6:44 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• This is one of the best sites ~ http://www.rescueguide.com/orphkits.html

Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 1:36 PM on Sep. 20, 2010