sore nipples?

my daughter is 13 days old and i didnt experience any problems with nursing until the other day. all of a sudden my nipples have gotten so sore and its so painful nursing...is this normal and how do i fix it!!!!

newmommyjazz

Asked by newmommyjazz at 9:50 PM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Are you using washable breast pads? They caused me to get super sore even though our latch was great and there were no other problems. Lanolin can help, try using it twice a day, up to after every nursing session. I wouldn't recommend unlatching your baby to shorten nursing, unless it is a bad latch you are supposed to let the baby finish an unlatch themself. If you have to unlatch baby put your finger in her mouth to break the suction first. Letting your nipples air out for 10 minutes or so after you nurse will help a lot, and will help more if you can get a little warm sunshine on them (without flashing your neighbors lol). If you are engorged you can use warm compresses before you nurse to help the letdown so your baby can empty your breast better and cool compresses after to help with over production and swelling. If none of this helps, call the hospital and talk to the lactation consultant, hopefully it gets better
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 10:05 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• mine would get sore because my son would take so long to nurse. I just put up with it but if they got really sore I would pump and give him a bottle
    Smiley001

Answer by Smiley001 at 9:53 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• check the inside of your baby's mouth for white spots. thrush usually shows up on the tongue and cheeks and will make you really sore.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 10:03 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Perfectly normal although still painful and annoying! Make sure your LO has a good latch while nursing and use a cream, cooling or ice pads afterwards. You will eventually get used to it... keep it up :)
    BraythansMom

Answer by BraythansMom at 11:32 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• No offense the PP but you should not let your child use your nipple for non nutritive sucking that is what a pacifier is for. One time pump your breast on high and time it. However long it takes to them to empty that is how long they need to eat. You can also listen to hear them stop breathing and swallow, when they are sucking and not swallowing as often then they are done and you are empty. Also from a lactation consultant do not put moisturizer on them. You want them to dry out and get tough.
    Cherish050307

Answer by Cherish050307 at 8:14 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• There are some really great people you can call in the area that will be happy to help with any questions or concerns you have....I think it's great your keeping it up although you feel pain or discomfort...Very good Mommy!!
    Ahh..Motherhood

Answer by Ahh..Motherhood at 5:54 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Do not nurse any longer than 10 minutes on each side. Realistically like 7 minutes. Then leave them exposed to air and express some milk and let it dry on them it wil help and it WILL get better. Use a pacifier if the little one wants to suck.
    Cherish050307

Answer by Cherish050307 at 9:55 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• this is one thing im not looking forward toooo
    pinkdena

Answer by pinkdena at 9:57 PM on Sep. 19, 2010