my daughter has ADHD i need help!

so she has adhd and i decided i didnt want her on meds. this was about 3 years ago. i baught this book which had a special diet, and many homeopathic remedies that may work for adhd. NOTHING worked! i dont want to put her on these medications but i am begining to believe i have no other choice. what should i do? should i give in and use the meds or just keep trying? im going nuts with this!

cassie_m

Asked by cassie_m at 9:55 PM on Sep. 19, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• if your going nuts imagine what she is going thru. I have ADHD and so do my boys. I wish my mother had put me on meds... I suffered all thru school. I put my oldest on them and while he was on the meds we worked on learning all about it and teaching him what was happening and ways to control it or work around it. He went off the meds on his own about 6 years later. And he is now doing fine. Because as a youngster he was able to learn how to deal with things. If your child needs meds why not give them to her, by not giving her meds she really is suffering, her self esteem will suffer, as she gets older (studies have proven this) she will try to self medicate either with caffiene or non prescription drugs. Kids who do not receive meds tend to lead a more dangerous lifestyle they take chances that "typical" kids do not take, they have a higher drop out rate and jail time as well.
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 2:25 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• If you do decide to use medications, remember it might only be needed for a few years, that the child will grow out of it and the brain will mature. What you have to weigh is whether the medication will permit your daughter to focus on her school work and be successful in her studies. Good luck to you and your daughter.

Also, see if there is a support group in your area.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 10:35 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I have 2 kids on meds for adhd, and I swear by them. Think of it this way if your child had diabetes, would you give them insulin? Esentially ADHD is a chemical imbalance in their brain. I think when I was growing up I had it and was never diagnosed, and now I see my kids getting frustrated and down on themselves, just as I did. I think if there is some way to help them then why not. Not only that but it may help you as well. Easier to manage, just to go to the store before was a feat in it self. Do your research most of the drugs used are in the body for only hours. And depending on your child they may only need a min. dose. Its better to get them staraight before they try to self medicate and that can start earlier than you think. Good Luck!
    pcbc

Answer by pcbc at 9:23 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• It really depends on your child. If you have tried everything else then meds might be your only choice. My niece is on ADHD meds and they work great for her. My oldest brother, who is now 32 has ADHD and my mom didn't want to put him on the meds when he was young but when he got to be a teenager and tried to take them he had horrible side effects. But don't give up! You just might find something that works. Here is a website I found and hopefully something will be on there that you haven't tried yet. http://www.herbalremediesinfo.com/ADHD.html
    Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 10:00 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Look into a gluten free, dairy free eating plan for her. Sugar is also a good thing to eliminate (for all of us). You may find some answers at www.childrenshealthstudy.com
    wellnessgirl

Answer by wellnessgirl at 4:08 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Some things to remember... Be sure she's drinking plenty of water. Our brains are about 80% water and even mild dehydration can cause huge troubles with her symptoms. See that she gets enough sleep. Keep a very reliable structure and routines in place as it is really helpful to know what to expect each day. She will need CONSTANT reminders about things...it's so easy to get distracted with ADD. Also, I've read that some people improve considerably when they cut dairy out of their diets... same with certain food dyes. Sorry that's all I've got. Remember, meds are not a fix all. And if you go that route, it can sometimes take a quite a bit of time to get the med and the dosage right. Good Luck
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 11:04 PM on Sep. 21, 2010