should i give my daughter's paternal grandfather a chance to meet her?

my daughter's father says that his Dad "doesn't deserve her". (her father and i are not together) He and his Dad do not get along or see each other. His Dad left him and his brothers and Mom when they were young so he is a piece of crap and i understand that...BUT...should i get a hold of his Dad and give him a chance to meet his granddaughter? or should I listen to my daughter's Dad and just leave it alone? Is it my decision whether to contact him or not? ...I just want my dd to have as many ppl who love her as possible in her life.

mamagee1218

Asked by mamagee1218 at 10:06 PM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i wouldn't. If he contacted you and expressed an interest, then sure. Have him meet you at the park or McDonald's or something, but I would not reach out to a man who turned his back on his own kids. That would just be a slap in the face to your daughter's father.
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 10:15 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• sure, i would contact him and see what his thoughts are and then make your decision.
    its always great to have family around.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:07 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• oh and its not the quantity of love but quality
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 10:09 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• if he wasnt there for her father what makes you think he'll be there for her. personally I wouldnt.
    SabrenaLeigh

• If the grandfather hasn't contacted you then I would leave it alone. If he does contact you and wants to have a relationship with his granddaughter then I would let it happen. If you contact him out of the blue, you may be setting yourself up for a big disappointment.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 10:11 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I say give it a try but I would meet him without your daughter first
    Smiley001

Answer by Smiley001 at 10:08 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• i would contact him n tell him if he would like to meet his gd and if he does that shows u how much he cares for his gf. if no respnse from him at least u tried
    sandi_361

Answer by sandi_361 at 10:11 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• so this is MY decision whether to contact him or not right? My dd's father seems to think that this is ALL up to him and if he says dont contact him then we arent going to but i am her Mother and if I want to pursue it then thats my decision right?
    mamagee1218

Comment by mamagee1218 (original poster) at 10:16 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Yes it is your decision but I think he would be yet another person to love her and possibly help you.
    soccerfanatic14

Answer by soccerfanatic14 at 10:48 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I don't know if it is your decision because your ex has made it clear that it is a bad idea. Find out if his dad knows he has a grand daughter, tell your ex you want to contact his dad. It's a fine line and even if you aren't together if you go around him on this he will feel like you are attacking his parenting and no matter what you may or may not agree on you 2 still need to be united. Its not a fight worth fighting.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 3:06 AM on Sep. 20, 2010