has anyone had trouble getting your son to poop in potty? If so what have you done/ I think I have treid everything

Hayden is 3 1/2 and stubborn but also very smart. I'm his grandmother. I never had this much trouble with my own children.

granny0126

Asked by granny0126 at 7:39 PM on Jul. 1, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Yes, I used to have a problem with my oldest son (now 10 yrs old) up until about 5 years old. He would hold it in and become constipated then when he could go to the bathroom it would really hurt. The end result he would be scared and worried about the pain of going number 2. The only thing that ever worked would be to put him in a warm bath, when you see that he may be trying to hold it in or if he tells you he has to go. A warm bath usually worked for him.. Eventually they grow out of it .. It is very common. Hope that helps
    zimazoom

Answer by zimazoom at 7:56 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• PLease help me solve this one too! My ds will pee when he has to but when it comes time to poop he will go anywhere but in the potty. He has gone in his underwear, on his bedroom floor and even outside! He screams if we put him in the bathroom. If you find a "cure" let me in on the secret!
    tmfoote

Answer by tmfoote at 10:01 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• I had the same problem with my daughter .... I told her that all of our poop goes into the ocean to feed the fish, and that if she dint go #2 Nemo and his friends would starve.....
    psychobilly_mom

Answer by psychobilly_mom at 10:01 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• Usually kids are nervous of falling in, or getting splashed...it just takes time for the child to get used to sitting on the potty and hearing that THUNK.
    AbbysMom059

Answer by AbbysMom059 at 9:26 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• Unfortunatley, a child only has control over a few things in his life and pooping is one of them. Here are a few things that might work, but again you may have already tried them....
    If the problem is the toilet, have you tried a potty? maybe they can decorate it with stickers to make it thier own?
    If the problem is the bathroom, have you tried taking the potty our of the bathroom, into the hallway? A reward system that's immediate? something that works for him? small cars, stickers, (try and stay away from food) when you see him going try rushing him to the potty and when it goes in do a special dance...I know it sounds silly, but the more praise they get for going there the better and then when they go in their underware they help clean it up ( between ages 3-5) and no reaction is given.
    I hope this helps.
    literal2aT

Answer by literal2aT at 9:59 AM on Jul. 2, 2008