Any christian women married to a muslim?

My husband is a muslim, from Jordan, (one of the good middle eastern countries) and I do not embrace his beliefs. I am a christian and it was not an issue at first, but now that my son is almost 2, I am afraid that this could be a real problem for us in the future. We agree on how to raise our son mostly. I have no problem in supporting him with the strictness and moral and such, but religion I am not sure how to deal with this.

DonnaD40

Asked by DonnaD40 at 4:41 AM on Oct. 19, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well in my opinion that is something that should have been considered before and the Bible says (I am paraphasing) Not to be unequally yoked.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:53 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I agree with anonymous. We are instructed as Christians to not marry outside of the faith. "Can two walk together except they be agreed? " (Amos 3:3) "Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers..." (2 Corinthians 6: 14-18) Trust and believe you are in for tough times ahead. May God be with you.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 9:38 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I am neither Christian/ nor married to a Muslim, however I do have a suggestion for you. Perhaps your husband and yourself should sit down and discuss what it is about each of your religions that you most want your son to know. Then each of you can separately teach your son those aspects of your religion, and as he grows let him decide for himself which one he wants to follow exclusively, or maybe he will grow up wanting to stay a part of both. As far as religious holidays and such, you and your husband should just celebrate all of them from both religions. You should participate in the muslim ones, and your husband should participate in the Christian ones, so that your son will always have a strong sense of family unity, even during times of disagreement.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 11:36 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• well i am christian and my husband i muslim and we believe that there is one God. my son is 4 years old and when ever my son see his dad praying he will pray just like him. i do go to church and my son go as well. we really havent ran into a problem with religion. we even pray together some times. but you should defintly sit down and discuss it with your son he may be to young to understand. we dont force religion on our kids.
    moviestartaal

Answer by moviestartaal at 11:56 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• you should have discussed this BEFORE YOU HAD KIDS....it clearly states (go back in here...there was another question like this not long ago) that muslims men are supposed to raise their kids muslim.....no matter the faith of the mother....it says that in their religion.
    You being a christian getting with this man....did you not learn anything about his religion before you married him? or were you trying to convert him after you married him and had kids? I don't get you religious people....it's better to believe in nothing than say someone is wrong because they want to follow their book.
    Go read up on it....if you want him to practice and follow his faith....you should raise your kid muslim, if you want to damn your husband because you DIDN'T TALK ABOUT THIS before you had kids...then raise the kid your way.
    Anonymous

• shoulda coulda woulda...its too late to be the condemnation police. they are married, and i guess its safe to assume they are happy in their marriage...yes, the bible does speak about being unequally yoked with your mate. and its to avoid problems in marriages that cant be worked out. but its too late for that. the bible also tells us not to get divorced unless infedelity is involved. so, she needs encouragement and advice on what to do NOW...
    ivelostmyself

Answer by ivelostmyself at 4:55 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• i think you have gotten good advice on talking to your husband about what is important to you. my husband and i are kind of in the same boat (two different religions, completly different, but both considered christian) and what has worked for us is to focus on what we DO agree on, not on what we DISAGREE on.that doesnt mean we dont believe or practice what the other disagrees with, but neither of that makes that an issue. togetherness is the key. that keeps the division in your house to a minimum.
    ivelostmyself

• Jordan is "one of the good middle eastern countries"? As opposed to your husband being from one of the bad ones? Which ones are not the "good ones" so I can see if my husband or any of my friends are from there. I think I need to know if I married to one of the "bad ones".

Don't you think that is a wee bit racist comment? I think you and your husband have alot more to work on than just the kinks on how you will raise your son. It would seem that you look down upon his race and religion for beginners.
    Gypsyuma

Answer by Gypsyuma at 6:51 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• My answer is the same as mom to 2.5 boys. I am Christian and my dh is muslim. This is our agreement and arrangement and we haven't had any issues. My dh doesn't pray and I don't go to church though. I am not all that into religion though and if dh were to start getting into religion more to where it was out of my comfort zone I would just divorce so that I could be free to raise my son as I like. So far it this hasn't happened and I don't see it happening though. My son is also very smart and he can choose his own religous beliefs in life just like everyone else in the U.S. Children and adults aren't stupid and can think for themselves.
    Heath77

Answer by Heath77 at 1:41 PM on Jun. 5, 2010