What's a good medication to help control anxiety?

I'm considering getting on a medication to help control my anxiety (I've had it for 25yrs). I have heard good things about Celexa. Do you have any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:10 PM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Health

• I was on Citalopram and it was great. Very light and I didn't notice that I was on it accept that the anxiety went away. I was on it for 6 months and was able to ween off and control it afterward.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 10:13 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• burn sage.. it works great for my SIL, I wont recommend the one I am on because it doesn't work for beans.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:13 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I've been taking effexor xr, it's helped tame/control the attacks but really no medication will be beneficial without the help of a doctor to, you need to do both, that's your best shot at dealing with anxiety. Find a therapist that deals with cognitive behavior and can show you ways to handle your anxiety. Exercise, yoga, meditation, spending time with friends, a hobby, these all help.

mom-de-uno

Answer by mom-de-uno at 10:18 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I took effexor before but I switched to Pristiq. It worked better for Me. I also have to take something to help me sleep. Meds seem to work better after a good nights sleep. I am diagnosed with anxiety that causes my depression. It makes me just feel better. It also takes less time to feel the meds working. I really liked that because I tend to stop taking a med if it takes to long to start working.
    I agree with talking with your psychiatrist and just let them know all the side effects of the meds you have taken before and they may be able to find a med that will give less side effects. (ex. I have a problem with meds that have a chance of making me feel sleepy, I get jitters easy, I also needed something to take affect swiftly. ) He listened to that and found me a med that the side-effects didnt really include the particular side-effects. You know some may do "THIS" but, not "THAT" to you? I hope I make sense??
    Seterah1010

Answer by Seterah1010 at 10:39 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• are you seeing a therapist? honestly, the best thing is to deal with your issues if you can. if you can't at this time, then keep in mind that eventually, you need to deal with your stuff. i truly wish you the best of good health!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:58 PM on Sep. 19, 2010