How can i get my four almost five year old to remember things

My son will be five years old in November, he is very smart, but sometimes he will tell me he does not remember things that i know for sure he does know. I've gone so far as having him repeat after me multiple times, making write it down and repeat, spanking if he tells me he does not know, taking toys and activities away , i cant tell if he is trying to play me or if he really does not know , its driving me crazy i get so mad and i just dont even want to look at him, when i know he knows. Please i need advice looking for doctors i just dont want to put him on medicine, if that is an option

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:12 PM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• its not that he dont know its that he doesnt care to know my son is like that he remembers what he wants to remember when its convieniant for him i also get mad but then he just turned four its not that ur child has problems hes still young n he can only remember so much...
    sandi_361

Answer by sandi_361 at 10:15 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• try to make funny stories or cute associations with things or songs about things he might NEED to remember, but dont pressure the child with flash cards and facts all the time, he is a child. childhood is so fleeting anyway and once they eneter the school system, they are "theirs" and gone as a baby to you anymore. so dont ruin the child's development of an imagination and carefree happiness with constant testing maybe. think of how you would feel if someoen was doing that to you, he is so young!! this might be good for a TEN year old or a fourteen year old. OR make a list for your child of these things. but they dont need to study anything, PLAYYYY PLAY PLAY is how children learnm, both with YOU, others, or alone, they say when a child is playing, DONT interrupt them or direct their play too much, just look on and comment occasionally -- this lets them know A youre watching B you approve C they are growing.
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 10:19 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• It's that age...I SWEAR! My 4 yo DD does the same thing! I tell her to take a toy--one toy!-up to her room, and she starts going up the stairs without the toy! Ummmm....hellooooooooooo...I said take TOY to ROOM!
    eirejade

Answer by eirejade at 10:33 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Reward him when he finishes a task; and praising him goes a long way for next time around. 

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 10:53 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• you make 'em grow.......
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 11:01 PM on Sep. 19, 2010