My son just ate a bite of raw ground beef!!

I was putting away the groceries amd my son grabbed the ground beef and took a bite.... I'm scared... do I need to take him to the hospital?

June_Mama09

Asked by June_Mama09 at 10:23 PM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• In all probability, he'll be absolutely fine.
    If he does get food poisoning, keep him hydrated, give him something to replace lost salts and minerals, they should have things in the pharmacy to do that for children.
    Call a doc if it he has vomiting / diahorrea for more than 12 hrs... or he doesn't pee the usual amount. He may get dehydrated.

But most likely he'll be absolutely fine.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 6:55 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• no! not yet or anything, my mother was a nurse. it was not chicken or anything. let him drink a lot, either water or whatever he drinks, and brush his teeth. wash his face and hands. those are what really need it. if he ate a bite just watch him, if he just chomped into the package that is less alarming, just tell him we never do that it has to be cooked. just be watchful of him. any allergic or lethargic or diarrhea he should go to doctor. why dont you CALL the doctro office and tell them tomorrow and just ask nto go in.
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 10:28 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• You could call poison control they probably will tell you what to do. One time my daughter found an old glass of grape juice under the bed and drank it. I was horrified, being it was summer and many days old. They said she would be ok, and that was reassuring to me.
    homeschoolin432

Answer by homeschoolin432 at 10:30 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• There is probubly no need to worry and definately no need for an ER visit. Just watch him for signs of a food illness. Nausea, vomiting, etc. He will probubly be ok. I know alot of people who actually like to eat raw burger. Yuck!
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 12:43 AM on Sep. 20, 2010