If a kitten doesn't have a mother,doesn't it still have instincts to take care of itself?

I asked a question if I should adopt a kitten but it never had a mother and a person said; not to because they never had a mother,they didn't learn things from it,don't cats have instincts to do things for themselves.The owner did say,she hadn't seen them cleaning themselves--do you think 2 week old kittens know how to clean themselves on their own or do they need a mother to show them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:30 PM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Pets

• No 2 week kittens can't do any of those things. You'll have to do everything fr them. You'll have to buy special Kitten mil (you can find it at pet stores) and probably bottle feed them
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:32 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• not that young. they need to be preened and gently brushed and rubbed--- the mother cats washign also massages them and gets circulation goign for them in thei rmuscles. they need special formula!!! for sure. and bottle. i was goign to be a vet so i knwo all this stuff. keep it WARM super warm in a towel in a box plus blanket ina warm QUIET spot.
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 10:34 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Somethings a kitten will do on its own, other things no. I think a kitten will learn to groom and use a litterbox. I have a 13 month old cat right now that was found at 2 weeks and fostered and bottlefed. The cat at first would have a bit of trouble getting her butt in the litterbox, I don't know if that was the reason or not. She is fine, and normal as any cat now. I think the only thing they might not learn is not to play too aggressively with other cats, as mama wasn't there to correct. Someone has taken care of her, and the human doing it did teach her social skills at that. If the kittens are only 2 weeks old now, my goodness they can't wash themselves. They probably just opened their eyes. They need to be bottlefed formula all the time, and cared for. If the owner is trying to get rid of 2 week kittens she can't. She needs to call a vet to learn how to take care of them.
    homeschoolin432

Answer by homeschoolin432 at 10:35 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• When they are that yong they don't know and you have to do many of the thinga that the mama would do. You need to stimulate them to go to the bathroom, feed them kmr (kitten milk replacer) ever 3 hours. I have 3 cats that I bottle raised from 2 weeks of age (it was a litter of 6) They are 2 years old now and great cats but some don't turn out as well and if you don't have experience doing this I would not recommend it. YOu should look for kittens that are a little older 8-12 weeks if you really want a kitten.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:36 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I had a cat that was abandoned by her mother. I had to bottle feed it with kitten formula (found at pet store, farm n' fleet, and even walmart). Not only did I have to bottle feed her, but after every time I feed her I had to take a cotton ball moisten with warm water on her bottom to stimulate her to go to the bathroom. As she aged she was able to properly care for herself. She even became a mouser.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:41 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Oh and because I stimulated her to go to the bathroom I also litter trained her. I would stimulate her to go then place her in the litter box, so she would learn that's where to go.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:43 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• nope
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 6:39 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• A kitten should remain with it's mother until it is 12 weeks of age, or on formula and free choice kitten chow that long, and than on kitten chow for a full year. At two weeks of age a kitten still needs to be fed several times a day, it will need it's bottom wiped to stimulate the bowels and urine after each feeding, as well as being washed. You will need to keep it in a warm, draft free box.

To be honest, it doesn't sound as though your friend knew what to do to take care of the cat or the kittens, and you obviously don't know anything about cats (not a put down, you can learn), but a basically orphaned kitten requires a lot of care or it will die. I'd recommend you get a book on cat care and adopt a kitten that is old enough, has their shots, etc. from a shelter, and ask them how to properly care for your new kitten. Healthy kittens/cats are easy pets as a rule, but foster babies (which this one is) need a lot more.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 1:33 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• This is one of the absolute best sites I've ever seen that explains how to care for very young/orphaned kittens.

http://www.rescueguide.com/orphkits.html

Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 1:34 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• What they said!
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 1:57 PM on Sep. 20, 2010