i had a tooth extracted...question about dry socket...

when am i out of the woods? got the tooth pulled friday at noon...still am doing good...do not currently have dry socket but could it still happen? im following all of my aftercare instructions...when can i stop worrying?

mamagee1218

Asked by mamagee1218 at 10:36 PM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Health

• You sound just like me. I got my first extraction in May and was a nervous wreck. I would say after a week I started to relax a little. Did they tell you not to drink from a straw? I actually avoided straws for 2 weeks and that was because I was nervous. I had no problems either and I am sure you will be ok too. They usually come from people sucking on things afterwards, and if you don't do that you probably will be fine.
    homeschoolin432

Answer by homeschoolin432 at 10:39 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• The upper teeth you usually don't have to worry about, the lower ones, are usually the problem makers here. I had a dry socket after wisdom removel, very painful !! it has been years ago. I would google aftercare and see what they say. Hugs !! :-)
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 10:42 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I would just keep following the instructions for a couple weeks. When I had my wisdom removed i had to keep flushing my mouth with water to avoid dry socket for almost 4 weeks.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:38 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Sounds like you are doing okay so far. If your pain is under control, you don't have a fever, etc keep up with the aftercare instructions for the indicated time frame.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:51 PM on Sep. 19, 2010