group fitness classes vs. individual exercise

i am interested in replacing my current intense cardio routine with some group fitness classes (zumba, group cycling, step/pump, hip hop, yoga etc) but I'm wondering if they will have as much impact as my regular work out. I usually do one full hour on my recumbant bike going 20 miles an hour, will these classes have as much impact as my current work out and will i still get if nothing else as good results as I'm getting now?

katiekruschke

Asked by katiekruschke at 10:43 PM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Individual
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:48 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• It depends on your personality and what you're trying to get out of the workout session. If you're really driven by atmosphere and being surrounded by others, the accountability that others will hold you to; go for a group fitness class. If you're better off on your own and being driven by your personal goals and determination, go with individual workouts. As far as the impact either will have physically, that's ALWAYS up to you.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 10:56 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• i personally dont like zumba, its not for me. yoga is great! i love it, it gives you lean long muscles. cardio kickboxing is great, it will kick your ass if you get a good teacher!! spin classes are good too.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:10 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I say individual but only because I'm not coordinated and don't need to make a fool of myself in front of people. It took me a long time to find a workout dvd that i can actually do without getting all twisted
    Smiley001

Answer by Smiley001 at 9:54 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• group and have fun
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 12:43 AM on Sep. 30, 2010