What does rice cereal do for a baby, as opposed to just formula?

soccerfanatic14

Asked by soccerfanatic14 at 10:47 PM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it gives them iron, fills them up, and teaches them how to start eating solid foods
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:07 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• There is already iron in the formula and you dont wanna give your baby too much iron because it causes constipation, the rie cereal is to fill them up so you can go longer between feedings and it helps their digestive system to prepare for solids. I hope this helps you.
    jezzie1011

Answer by jezzie1011 at 11:11 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• it helps them fill up, can help with reflux and spitting up, and can help fast eaters slow down. i always preferred the baby oatmeal cereal to rice cereal because the rice made my boys constipated but the oatmeal didnt.
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 11:37 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• http://www.homemade-baby-food-recipes.com/best-first-food-for-baby.html  This article explains why my kids won't be getting rice cereal at all and will get real veggies and fruits instead.

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/babyledweaning.htm  This one explains why my kids will get no jars and instead will got to real food after 6 months.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:50 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• It doesn't do anything. Grains aren't a very good starter food (and it doesn't help their digestive system in any way shape or form, I assure you!). It was invented when formula fed babies needed more iron... but now they pack so much iron into formula that they don't need extra. Wait until 6 months and start with real food.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:41 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• For my DD the cereal did fill her tummy but not when mixed in a bottle, just spoon fed it to her.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 3:03 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Not much. It's basically a filler. Many people skip it, and start with a fruit or veggie. It's up to you what you feed your child, but I would recommend AGAINST using cereal in a bottle (not sure if that was what you meant though)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:35 PM on Sep. 20, 2010