How long could the labour last and any tips on getting through it?

I'm due November 12th and slightly panicky, it's my first child and I've been to classes but I swear I've forgotten everything now it's so close. :S. Thanks.

sarah221

Asked by sarah221 at 6:20 AM on Oct. 19, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Labor can take a few minutes or a few hours. Sometimes a few days!

Mine was 21 hours.\

Do you still have any of the materials? Review them over and ove until you internalize everything.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:23 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Labor with my son was about 8hrs and 29mins long. Epuderal will be your best friend. I'll let you now, that sh*t hurts and got forbid you tear. Im not trying to scare you, just being honest. I was scared with my first child but I wanted to tough it out and have her naturally. I only pushed a couple times and she slid right out but I riped and had to have stitches, let me tell you the pain was intense after that epuderal wore off. Now my son was different, it took alot more effort to get him here but I didnt rip and I was up walking around and cleaning house the day after we got home with him. As far as those classes go, I didnt take them but when the time comes to push, you will know what to do. If you get to scared, you can always have a c-section, I almost did with my son because I was scared and I had had a baby before. Its all worth it in the end. Congrats!
    Prestonsgurl04

Answer by Prestonsgurl04 at 7:17 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I went for 15 hours before they headed me off for a C-section since the bby's heart beat kept dropping && as for getting through it, I had an epidural. I don't know if you're going for a natural birth, but the epidural hurt like heck when I got it, but afterwards it's like being paralyzed from the waist down. I didn't feel a thing && I couldn't move my legs at all. My friends were coming in && drawing on my feet && I couldn't stop them. =[
    Blueberryplz

Answer by Blueberryplz at 7:18 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• mY BEST ADVICE TO GIVE IS TO BREATHE THROUGH IT AND REMEMBER, OUR BODIES ARE MADE TO DO THIS. ANY TIME I HAD A CONTRACTION I WOULD JUST CLOSE MY EYES AND BREATHE AS SLOWLY AS I COULD AND KEEP TELLING MYSELF, I AM MADE TO DO THIS, I CAN DO IT. DON'T LET THE PAIN GET THE BEST OF YOU. IT'S BEST IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO CONCENTRATE ON. AND EVERYONE HAS A DIFFERENT PAIN TOLERANCE, SO DON'T LET PEOPLES LABOR STORIES SCARE YOU. FOR ME, EVEN THOUGH I WAS IN LABOR FOR 7 HOURS IT SEEMED TO REALLY FLY BY. BE NICE TO YOUR NURSES, AND THEY'LL BE NICER TO YOU TOO! I DID OPT FOR AN EPIDURAL BOTH TIMES AND IT WAS BREEZY FROM THERE ON OUT. YOU'LL BE FINE! TRY NOT TO WORRY.
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 8:17 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• i was also scared when my daughter. me and DH took all the classes and read tons of books. which really didn't help. i was in labor for 14hrs. 14 long hrs. after 10hrs i broke down and got an epi. which i was trying not to do. but hey labor is painful. they say your 1st baby is the longest. it can take hrs or even days. hopefully yours wont take days. but in the end no matter how long or painfull it's all so worth it. just remember to breathe and you'll do fine. good luck
    marinewife52704

Answer by marinewife52704 at 8:22 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• My first labor lasted 53 hours. I took the drugs.
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 8:58 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Mine lasted for at least 24 hours. About 12 of those were very painful! The only thing that got me through it was breathing. I had a nurse hold on to me and just breathe with me.
    bluebellina

Answer by bluebellina at 9:04 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• my first was just 5 hours and 58 minutes. Then my 2nd was about 4 hours.
    MAyers

Answer by MAyers at 9:05 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• With my first I was in labor for 36 hours. My second and thrid I was in labor for around 2 hours, my fourth was 3 hours. Each pregnancy and person is different.
    My_4_cuties_08

Answer by My_4_cuties_08 at 9:11 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• My labor was 42 hours...I'll tell you some advise a wise lady once said ..when it comes to labor and you think you can't take it anymore ... you're almost done. It's very true.
    Bianca008

Answer by Bianca008 at 9:15 AM on Oct. 19, 2008