3yr old preschool? yes or no?

Do you think 3 is too early to start preschool? Am I robbing him of his "babyhood"?

jen282

Asked by jen282 at 11:26 PM on Sep. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• I'm gonna start my daughter sometime during that age.
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 11:29 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• It depends - if it's a play based preschool, then he learns social skills. If it's academic, then you may be putting pressure on him (unless he' a mozart genius).
    Maureenmich

Answer by Maureenmich at 11:38 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I don't think it's necessary. My youngest dd did go to preschool at 3 1/2.  But only because she demanded to go.  She is super bright and has always been ahead of kids her age.  She excelled at school.  Her teachers didn't even realize she was only turning 4 in April.  They thought she was one of the kids going into kindergarten this year.  She's already ahead of where my other kids were when they started kindergarten.  She's 4 1/2 now and not going to preschool this year.  We moved and can't afford a traditional preschool.  Last year she went to a program through our park district: 2 days a week for 2 hours each day.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:06 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Is the baby potty trained??? I would try it!
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 1:06 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I think we are going to try it. He will only turn 2 1/2 in Oct. (born in April) , so by the time he starts he will be almost 3 1/2. I guess it just makes me sad to think of him going. At the preschool that he would be going to you have to apply a year in advance to get in, so the application is due this fall. He already know his colors, shapes, and full name. He is not potty trained yet but we are working on it. :)
    jen282

Comment by jen282 (original poster) at 6:22 AM on Sep. 20, 2010