How do you get your kids to not raid the fridge

My kids raid the fridge / freezer on a regular basis - sometimes late at night...without putting a padlock on them, any ideas?

Maureenmich

Asked by Maureenmich at 11:43 PM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• If they are hungry they should be able to eat. I would tell them what they are allowed to eat when they are hungry, like have a specific shelf for snack food in the fridge.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:10 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I don't. I let my son eat whenever he is hungry. His friends even know they can take a snack when they are hungry.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:15 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I tried to figure it out too I just gave up. They eat what they want as long as they don't waste it,eat or drink it all up,and if they make a mess I want them to clean it up.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 12:46 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• They can eat when they want, but I have learned to hide certain things. They like to get a cookie, chips, etc. in their lunch box but if they know where the stuff is they'll sneak it off one by one. They can snack all they want on the healthy stuff though.
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 1:55 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I think I know what you mean... you mean being greedy and not leaving any for anyone else?

I'm not jumping to the conclusion as some others that your not letting them eat. Small minded thinking. They have to learn how to share and consider others, You and the rest of your family need to eat, as well. I'd set some boundaries and if necessary start hiding some away or locking up the fridge if ya have to. When our teen started eating everything in sight, we had to get a new fridge and put our portion of food in there and put a lock on it. He gave no consideraton to anyone else and would literally eat everything before anyone had a chance to get any and that's just inconsiderate.

example: If you buy a pizza and e eats the whole thing before anyone else got a slice, thats not starving him or not being fair to him, he needs to learn to share and let others have some, as well.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 5:49 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• It drives me nuts too. I've finally put a list on the fridge of the foods they are allowed to eat and how much of everything they can have. I got tired of buying a two boxes of cereal only to find they are gone the next day or a bag of chips and they disappear over night.
    So I don't buy either of those things anymore. I still with canned veggies and fruit, fresh fruit and veggies and that's it. They can eat as much of it as they want. I don't buy processed food any more (like frozen pizzas). I simply just stopped, they eat what I make or left overs and they can raid for fruits and veggies, cheese or yogurt, pickles, bread, eggs, peanut butter or soup. :)
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 2:50 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• My kids have major food allergies so I got a dorm fridge just for them. I load it with the snacks they can eat. Plus a cabinet is loaded with snack foods for them. And I always have a basket of fruit out on the table. They know I only shop once a week so once the snacks are gone, they won't get any more until the next time I go shopping. I always have fruit for them.
    My kids love having there own area. Now they stay out of the food they are allergic to.
    MuddyHuggies

Answer by MuddyHuggies at 5:27 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• After the kitchen has been cleaned and it's usually clean around 8:30 pm my kids know that they only thing that they are allowed to get is something to drink. KITCHEN IS CLOSED
    msbrewton

Answer by msbrewton at 1:52 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• tell them not too and make sure they have enuff to eat @ dinner
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 12:56 AM on Sep. 26, 2010