Looking for Names...

Okay, so, my DH and I simply can't come up with any names. Or at least he hates the one I picked out (and had my heart set on) and he won't come up with any...

He has his heart set on Alice as a middle name because that was his mother's name.

I really wanted Sophia Alice, which would have meant Feminine Wisdom and Beauty... He just keeps saying "we'll sleep on it."

Now he wants to look for some names online. What are some suggestions? It has to go with Alice as a middle name and if it's been on the "top 100" names in the last 5 years, forget it... I hate common names unless they have some real meaning behind them (my son is Hunter, which is common, but it's his father's name).

Anyways, gimme some ideas... Please?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:45 PM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Baby Names

• I really like Sophia Alice...it has a nice ring to it, as well as a great meaning...hopefully he'll come around. Unfortunately I'm drawing a blank for any other names, and I don't know what names mean or what's on the Top 100, so I'm not gonna be much help except to say hopefully he'll sleep on it and wake up loving it!
    dlandrum

Answer by dlandrum at 11:57 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I will suggest that you do as I did with my SO regarding our sons name. I also HATE common names, but he prefers them. Go out and get a baby-name book, a recent one!.....or look up a site online if you would rather but I don't know of any. I finally grabbed the book about a week before our son was due and literally went through the entire book ans said out-loud all the names that I would go -for and asked him to holler when he heard one that he would agree on. When I got to R (Rhett), we finally agreed!!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 11:57 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Actually I would suggest whichever of you is the pickiest be the one looking through the book or the site, easier that way! Meaning was important to me also and most books do have the meaning and origin of each name attached. Good luck and congrats!!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 12:01 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I like Sophia Alice. You can try www.babynames.com for other ideas.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:02 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• sophia is pretty common it was #2 for girls names in 2009! What is your mom's name...maybe you can use part of it or another female role model in your life so that it will be meaningful for both of you. I avoided naming either of my children after a family member because i didnt want one side or the other to feel left out..i felt that if i put my mom's name in i had to put my MIL's ..and vice versa. for my daughters name my hubby picked the first and I picked the middle.
    I do like sophia alice though,its very cute!
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 12:12 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Popularity of Sophia for the last 5 years:
    2009 4
    2008 7
    2007 6
    2006 9
    2005 12
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 12:20 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• there are sites that will show you the LEAST common baby names recently... also you might consider a name made out of yours and his... i know of a Gabriana whose parents are a Brian and a Gina
    shilohsmama425

Answer by shilohsmama425 at 3:38 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• why not settle on you pick the first name and he pick the second so if he wants alice so bad fine but you get to pick the first and just settle on it. the baby is going to come soon and you cant just call it baby A so just decide and everything will be fine and she will grow from all the love and caring you both took in picking her name.
    kriszaz

Answer by kriszaz at 12:07 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Really? Sophia is popular? I've never heard of anyone named Sophia besides Sophia Lauren... It has a spiritual connection for me, which was why I originally chose it... But I never would have thought of it as popular, like I said, I never met one.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 12:18 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Sophia is SUPER popular...
    Maybe a similar less common name...
    Zosia Alice
    Sapphira Alice
    Soraya Alice
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:28 PM on Sep. 20, 2010