Picking their own clothes

At what age do you let your kids pick out their own clothes?

Maureenmich

Asked by Maureenmich at 11:45 PM on Sep. 19, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My daughter is only 14 months, but as soon as she starts K she can.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 11:48 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• That's up to you mom, as soon as you believe they are able. Experiment with it, let them try a few times. If it works out well, let it continue!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 11:49 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• i started letting my son pick his when he was 6, my daughter is 3 and i let her pick out of 2 choices that i pick.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 11:49 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• mine is in gr 1..and she has a weeeeird taste in clothes..lol..they never match, and that drives me craaaaaazy..so...i pick out a few different outfits that she can wear..and she picks from that...works for us..theres no fussing or complaining..oooooooooooor i will let her pick either the top or the bottom..and then i will pick what goes with it..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:50 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• My kids all pick out their clothes every day. They are 10, 8, 7 and 4 and have been doing it since...well, forever. The younger 2 have really weird styles but it's theirs. As long as it doesn't break the dress code at school I don't care.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:53 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Kindergarten is when I have started and now my youngest who just started this year i give him 2 outfits to pick from just because the weather is changing now and he would still wear shorts If I let him
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:05 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• From the time they can start choosing. My DD went to school in some SERIOUSLY crazy stuff in preschool. I still have veto power for certain outings though. And on Mother's Day I get to dress my kids like little barbie dolls, and they are not allowed to complain. Not even my 11 year old. LOL

IMG_1362

3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 1:00 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• My daughter is in kinder and picks her clothes and my son is in 2nd grade. Before this age I gave them options from a few matching clothes.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 1:27 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I remember letting them do it but don't recall the age. My graddaughters are 5 & 7 and they pick out their outfits everyday.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:29 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Mine started around age 5 or 6.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:15 AM on Sep. 20, 2010