swelling in feet and ankles after c-section?

I had a c-section on Tuesday after laboring for 24 hours and "failing to progress" past 9.5 cm. I was given a large amount of pain medication (including lidocaine and an epidural) during my unsuccessful labor and was also maxed out on Pitocin before they did the surgery in the end. I am now on oxycodone and motrin for the pain along with tylenol as needed. I noticed this morning (Sunday) that my ankles and feet are very swollen and they are even sore from the swelling...is this a common side effect from any of the medications i am taking or was given during labor? I also only gained 20lbs during the pregnancy but I got on the scale today and I havent lost any weight at all!! My son was 8lbs.3oz. Shouldn't I be weighing less now!? Any help/opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

LLE672

Asked by LLE672 at 12:37 AM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• My feet swelled up so big I swore my skin was going to split over the swelling (It didn't) It's normal. It lasted 3 days for me after I had my DS. You weigh more because you are retaining water. Give your body some time to adjust back to normal, you will feel much better soon.
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 12:44 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• i had 3 c-sections and yep my feet swelled up...every time i look at theme all i could think was how i looked like fiona and cry cry cry...and my damn sisters started calling me kankles...good my sisters suck at times...you will get better soon

iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 12:47 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• The ankles swell as a result of losing so much weight (normally 10 lbs, but you could've lost up to 15 lbs). I wouldn't be taking the oxycodone, bc it's not good for baby, but the shock of losing so much weight so suddenly, and walking so quickly after an operation often leads to water retention, so the body can lose the weight gradually. I know it's difficult, but walking around the house, drinking lots of water, milk and juice can help the swelling. When you're not walking, make sure to put your feet up, laying down if possible. Did you know you can breastfeed laying down? Or rather, slightly propped? After a c-section, a 'Boppy' can be your best friend! Also, the healthier you eat, the faster the water will go away, most especially with salads and meat. Good luck!
    lilydoyle

Answer by lilydoyle at 1:12 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• My ankles stayed swollen for about a week after my C-section. After that, my weight came off like gangbusters because I was too spent to eat!
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 10:32 PM on Sep. 22, 2010