What to do about a mean 1year old/??? Need help

My niece just turned 1 and my ds is 6 months, everytime they are together she BEATS him up, acts like she is going to be a nice baby to him then when we give up our guard she hits or bites him. My sister told me to slap her hand when she hits DS but that seems not right to me, hitting her for hitting?? How would you handle this?? We had a birthday party for her and there were 4 other babies there and everyone of them have been hurt from her in the last 2 months. what to do??

staciaw

Asked by staciaw at 12:38 AM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• remove the child from the situation, put her on time out ( I stated my DD on time outs by age one), talk to her about hitting after the time out. Then take her back to your baby & show her how the baby likes to be touched. When she does it right, tell her good job & to keep doing it that way.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 12:41 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• They dont know they are being mean at that age. They dont realize others have feelings. Just tell her that hurts the baby and we touch the baby nice and re direct her. If she cant touch baby nice she cant touch baby at all :) And the hitting for hitting, no..lol..
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 12:42 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• You may not like it but you need to disipline the way your sister asks to re-enforce for her. You don't have to do that with your child but if you can't do it with hers since she is telling you to than you need to keep your son away from his cousin.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 1:40 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Time out!
    soccerfanatic14

Answer by soccerfanatic14 at 2:31 AM on Sep. 20, 2010