What are your views on "my baby can read"? does it really work as well as they say?

MegFouq

Asked by MegFouq at 1:11 AM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my daughter is 3 and we recieved it as a gift when she was 1 it is very OLD the video and people are very old fashion. she is sick alot and not able to run around and play so we watch alot of informational shows and movies and it is extremely hard to keep her watching it. weve watched dora, and she has learned more with her than my baby can read.
    VERONICAS_MOM

Answer by VERONICAS_MOM at 1:23 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• My son uses it with my grandson. It is amazing the stuff he has learned from that.
    dragonlady44

Answer by dragonlady44 at 2:30 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• As an elementary school teacher I'm not a fan. They actually don't "learn" anything that young. Its memorization based. Its also not healthy for a child to be watching anything under the age of 2. Obviously there are exceptions as the 1st mommy posted. My son is 21/2 and. Memorized about 10 books I read to him. Your child will learn just as many skills, if not more, by purely reading 3+ books/daily. My mil gave me the program and. It went straight in my attic. I cn see it to be useful @ age 3 1/2 and older but that's all.

coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 7:02 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• It is rote memorization....which has been proven ineffective as they are older. Not to mention, reading at 1 is no indication of future success. I could read at three. You can't tell a difference between me and anyone that learned at 5 or 6...

Reading to your kid, talking with them and pointing out signs , letters and such is a far better teacher than some video.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:31 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• It is crap. Learning to read is not memorization. My 4 year old is learning to read without that program. We have always read to him, taught him all his letters, and sounds for those letters, etc.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:13 AM on Sep. 20, 2010