I found out that i am going to have gall blader surgery.........

I am going in on october 30th and i was wonder if all goes well what kind of pain will i be in on halloween? anyone remember how much weight you can pick up after surgery? any other restrictions afterwards....or anything you feel i should know?

8firsttimemom8

Asked by 8firsttimemom8 at 7:53 AM on Oct. 19, 2008 in Health

• I had my gallbladder out on my birthday of 2004...(Happy Birthday to me!),,,my son was 2 1/2 months old). I also had a laproscopic cholecystectomy, and was told that I would be in pain for a day or two, and would be back to new in a week! OK, the surgeon that told me that had obviously not had a child 2 1/2 months earlier! My recovery took all of 6 weeks, and then some. My surgeon told me that I would have a hard time tolerating fatty foods for a few weeks, until my body got used to not having the organ. He also said that there are also a small percentage that will have that problem the rest of their life! I fall under that category! It is a lot like playing Russian Roulette! There are some days when I can tolerate a Whopper from BK with no problem, and then the next week, eat the same thing, and have a gut ache from hell, and be running to the restroom!
    Sarah0817

Answer by Sarah0817 at 12:35 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• i had it when my baby was 4 weeks old and I did fine. of course you'll be sore but you should be able to hold your baby. i think i was back to normal in a week or two.
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 8:27 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• As long as it is laparascopic, you should be fine other than soreness as the PP said.
    heathermarie32

Answer by heathermarie32 at 8:46 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• You will not be in any mood or condition to hand out candy, much less trick or treat, even if you have the laporoscopy done. You will need complete rest and prescripiton pain medication of the first twenty four hours at least. I assume you are trying laporoscopy. If they make an incision, you will be in the hospital on the 31st. Arrange some help for the first two post op days and then things will lighten up, better every day, less pain and easier movement. Diarreah should be expected with fatty foods but eventually resolves over a year or so. It's not explosive but you won't want to pig out on ribs and fried chicken all at once. I guess you have tried the medical treatments? Once you are referred to the surgeon, surgery is your course. I had it and it went well and I didn't gain any weight as a result of the surgery.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 9:11 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I had my done many years ago. I had my surgery and went home the same day. I was sore for about a week. The first few days was the hardest. If you have it done by laproscopic after the surgery you will have a lot of shoulder pain. I think my shoulder hurt more than the actual surgery itself. Yes you do have the issue of going to the bathroom. I happen to be one of those people who has to run to the bathroom. It does not happen all the time but it still happens and it has been at least 6 years ago. You will do fine and will fill much better after if you are in a lot of pain from your gall bladder.

terri0867

Answer by terri0867 at 3:08 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I had mine taken out when my daughter was 2 months old. The doctor told me not to lift anything more than 15-20 pounds for the first week. I was also supposed to go home and be on bed rest for 2 days. I felt fine the next day though, there was some pain but nothing I couldn't handle. I was up taking care of my daughter the next day throughout most of the day (which my mother who stayed with me wasn't happy about.) I guess it depends on the person and how well you handle pain. One thing I do remember was getting really tired all of a sudden a couple times a day. So I would suggest having someone there with you if you can. Good luck!
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 4:03 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Oh and also, a couple days after mine I started having really bad diarrhea. When I went back to the doctor he told me it was normal after a gall bladder surgery and could eventually end up being IBS, which it did. So be on the lookout for that!
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 4:06 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Yeah I agree with lilbit if you get the IBS thats not fun,I had mine taken out in 1992 and was very sore and really wasnt in the mood for much of anything so it depends on how the doctor does the surgery.good luck.
    geenabelle

Answer by geenabelle at 5:24 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• i had mine out in june. the pain afterwards was worse than my c-section.
    i was serously in pain for over a month. I also have IBS now which really sucks. I gained about 10 lbs afterwards. Believe me you wull not feel like doing anything on halloween. Try not to over due it because you will get a hernia.
    myangel21

Answer by myangel21 at 9:46 PM on Oct. 19, 2008