How would I go about getting back into soccer?

I would like to play again, played for years in school. Havent in a long time though, but would like to get into again. I dont really remember everything, like what each position is called and everything. So, if I wanted to play on a team, but havent played in a long time and need some refreshing, how would I go about this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:38 AM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• My kids both play soccer for their high school, and my family's big soccer fans :-)

I would suggest that 1) if you want a refresher on the basic positions, etc, that you check your local library or bookstore for a book on it, you should be able to find one that covers them - though keep in mind that while there's the basics, like center, forward, defender, goal keeper, etc - different regions call some positions different names, or have different coaching styles as far as what they expect from some of the more specific positions (for example - both my kids play goal keeper. Some places we've lived, they've been called goalies, some they've been called keepers...)

Then, 2) contact your local parks and rec for your city or county, and see if they have any rec leagues, or if they have an indoor soccer league (keep in mind though, there are different rules for indoor soccer).
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:44 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Soccer is really poplular for adult teams, just do an internet search for your area and if your city has a monthly news letter you can usually find a rec leauge in that.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 1:45 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• cont

Along with that, I would suggest that, if you aren't doing something like this already, that you slowly start building up your cardio by running - you can start out small and build on how far and how often you do it, because as I'm sure you remember, soccer requires a lot of running / is a huge cardio sport.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:46 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Im kind of nervous about it too, since its been years since Ive played I dont know how good I will be, lol. I was pretty good back in the school days.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:47 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I would start off with some conditioning. Lots of running.
    Saucy1

Answer by Saucy1 at 11:39 AM on Sep. 20, 2010