so, how do you try to educate an extremely hyperactive 3yr old?!

im not trying to push my son by any means, but id like to try and teach him basic things like his abc's and counting higher than 10, just so hes prepared when he gets to kindergarten, and that he'll actually WANT to learn. he knows his colors and shapes but thats really about it. it just seems like every time i try to sit with him he doesn't want to listen (which, yeah i know is normal). i just need some fun and exciting ideas, any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:50 AM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My DD is very much the same way. We found that going for walks was a big help - we would point out trees, flowers, cars, whatever and tell her the letter sound they started with. She started getting really into the daily walk thing, and eventually was asking so many questions (and learning so much!) that we could barely keep up. If your son knows his colors and shapes already, then - trust me - he is doing a lot better than many of the kids in my DD's 3yo preschool class! lol
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 1:53 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Get some educational toys that deal with the alphabet and numbers, my 3 year old had a leap frog toy that recited it first off, which can just help them get used it to the song without having to pay much attention to detail, then she has a wooden alphabet puzzle which really helped her learn what they looked like where they went in the puzzle and what they are called.......it didnt take long and she was fluent with it, I think making it fun with toys helps any child learn but especially more active children who are less likely to sit still and want to listen.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 1:56 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Have u try using flash card with him with pic of anything with animals and things with him for his abc's and counting. Or u can try this has he learn how to write yet. My son is 4 and when we have school at home I make it fun like if he practice is writing his letters and numbers he gets an reward for doing so good in pretend class. When I do school with my son I would draw a pic of what ever he wants and then I would write down the word right beside it and it gets graded it by my mom. And he would go to his little chair right next to the coffee table and practice that way. Then after that we take a short break for lunch and go outside and waste all his energy until nap time. Then with season changing now and all the fun things r coming for them try to come with something creative for both u and him to do. Playhouse Disney is perfect place for u to go and get all the great craft ideas from and same goes with Nick jr.
    andmaef28

Answer by andmaef28 at 2:00 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Counting songs, sing the abc, read to him. Have sesame street on. Count things. When he is strapped in the car is a great time for songs or counting cars or what ever. Have an excited voice, make it a game, ask him to bring you 5 things and help him count them as he goes. Ask him to sing his ABC. But honestly I wouldn't worry to much. My oldest is in K, and there are kids in her class that are just learning these things, and since she has known them for a while now, she gets bored. There are puzzles, and games built around learning these things as well.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 9:47 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I like the walk thing. That is what I did with my son. He has a lot of energy. I found also putting him in preschool 3 days/weeek helped a lot as well. good luck!
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:18 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• i have the same problem with my 4 year old. she goes to preschool and would rather have her teacher teach her than me. i give her books and let her play games that will help her learn without me having to really help.
    tonyalynn

Answer by tonyalynn at 10:37 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• My dd just turned 4. She is JUST now getting to the point of wanting me to teach her (we did small sessions when she was younger, now it's finally keeping her interest longer).... She does lose interest still, or fidgets. Maybe if you just try to add it in to everything in the day, in with the normal routine... Try just "teaching" for 5-10 minutes at a time. You could concentrate on a few things at a time, when that is mastered, move to some new things. Hope that helps!

mom2maddie06

Answer by mom2maddie06 at 8:16 PM on Sep. 21, 2010