Help my 2 year old does not talk yet.

My son is and will be an only child, bc of my age (and and my dh decision and mine too). Anyway he is just 2 and has not started to talk he just does the usuall babble. I cant even really start potty training either bc he has no vocabulary, his hearing is excellent and he is very smart in other ways just no words. I did have him late in life, 42 and had gd during pregnancy but thinking I should have him tested. Should i be worried and wait for him to talk on his own.

kriszaz

Asked by kriszaz at 2:11 AM on Sep. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Talk to his doctor and if he doesn't bring up the test than ask for them but I wouldn't worry because I have heard of kids not talking until later.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 2:14 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• alot of children don't develop vocabulary until between age 2 and 3.... then it just takes off. do not compare him to other kids because you will worry yourself to death if u do that. but if you are concerned , talk to the pediatritian.
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 2:16 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Kids will talk at their own pace. Does he point and make a noise when he wants something? Both of my sons tried to do this and I learned to say," No, you have to use words." and then praise them when they would talk. As a Mom I kept anticipating what they needed and not having them ask for things and when I just sat back they bloomed. Don't worry you'll soon be saying," Why did I want him to talk...will he ever be quiet?" LOL
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 2:22 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• My e year grandson babbles a lot too. But he is learning and we are starting to understand more. Just be patient he will talk when he is ready.
    dragonlady44

Answer by dragonlady44 at 2:27 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I thought something was wrong with my 2 year old. He never talked at this age either. Some of my friends, at the time, even rudely commented about it, needless to say they aren't my friends anymore. Anyways, he just didn't have much to say, he is now 9 and is very smart and does well in school. He still only talks when necessary-he's never been a talker.
    I would bring it up to your Dr. just in case, but I'm sure he's fine.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 3:42 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• If you are worried talk to your Dr and do some testing, esp if there are other things that also have you worried, chances are he is perfectly fine, boys often talk later than girls and often some kids are just lazy with talking. My nephew is 2 and barely talked at all like Mama and Dada and thats it........he went to a pedi for eating issues and my sister bought up the vocab the dr said to make him say things that he wants, dont jsut give him things cause you understand what he wants......he can understand perfectly and we were all guilty he would point to something and we would just give it to him instead of saying no what it is, tell me what you want, they started doing that and already he is saying many more words...
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 5:01 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• If he is doing good in his other milestones, I wouldnt worry too much. Kids grow at their own pace. It doesnt sound like there are any other red flags, so maybe he is just a late talker. What you can do now is continue reading to him, singing to him, and maybe teach him baby sign. That gives him a way of communicating his wants and needs and will also prompt him to speak when he is ready.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 8:59 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• My son didn't talk much at 2. He's almost three and just not really starting to talk, with some baby babble still there. But because he's on track with everything else and doesn't seem to have any problem understanding me or acting like a normal 3 year old, I don't worry.

As long as he seems to understand you, he is developing normally when it comes to other things, and you don't feel as though there's something wrong, I wouldn't worry. Especially with him being an only child, he probably doesn't feel the need to talk as much, or have as much influence. I know with mine, he probably doesn't talk as much just because its just me and him, and he knew for the longest time he could communicate without having to talk to me.

I'd just keep giving him plenty of opportunity, and teaching him as much as you can. If you really are worried you can ask your doctor. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:31 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• *just now lol, :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:32 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• If he seems to be doing ok in other areas of development I wouldn't worry too much, especially if he understands what you are saying. If he can follow simple directions and understand what you are saying he is probably just taking everything. But if he doesn't understand what you are saying then I would maybe talk about getting early intervention invovled. You can do that on your own or through his pedi. They can evaluate him and help you figure out if he would benefit from services and needs them or not. It can't hurt anything.
    Mipsy

Answer by Mipsy at 11:34 AM on Sep. 20, 2010